Nitrox Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to carry an 80 when travelling. Just take a stage kit and rent 2 tanks.

That is true but do you think the average sport diver on a No Deco dive to 90 feet really needs an alumium 80 for a pony? I realize that the spare air is a bit underwhelming and really a sort of cheap piece of junk but you guys are into overkill. Three extra breaths would get anyone who should be diving back to the surface. But just me, I don't trust a Spare Air to deliever those breaths. N

That is true but do you think the average sport diver on a No Deco dive to 90 feet really needs an alumium 80 for a pony?

No.I find a buddy works quite well.

I think you were the first to mention an 80 ? :wink:

Slinging an extra 80 does work very well though, either for solo dives or for long nitrox dives. (with or without a little deco)

A 19 is big enough for me personally from 100 ft with a stop at 15. Verified this with a buddy present. It would pack well in checked, not take up too much weight or space. I dive a BPW and evrything except clothes and maybe anything bigger than a 5 mil goes in my carry on. So taking an extra 20 lbs or so would be nothing. Of course you need what your safe supply would be for the dives you are doing. But remember whatever you choose will be useless if you do not practice with it an become intimately familiar with it. Even a spare air is nothing but an even more useless paperweight if all you do is carry it around and never deploy it, breath off of it, and make sure it's going to work. Problem is so many of these things seem to fail after being used a few times that it really is a waste of money. Get a 19 and a spare simple but reliable piston reg for warm water. Cold water get a sealed reg. I use a brut for warm water and a blizzard for cold if not diving doubles.

Even a spare air is nothing but an even more useless paperweight if all you do is carry it around and never deploy it, breath off of it, and make sure it's going to work. Problem is so many of these things seem to fail after being used a few times that it really is a waste of money.

used a few times? :confused: Um, if a diver (not you of course) used a spare air "a few times" (at least in real need not practice drills) perhaps golf would be a better option.

I went to bonaire last year and one of our divers ran out of air THREE TIMES in the week - and he only did a couple dives a day. I think he's on the black list for our school now :)

No.I find a buddy works quite well.

I think you were the first to mention an 80 ? :wink:

Slinging an extra 80 does work very well though, either for solo dives or for long nitrox dives. (with or without a little deco)

Perhaps but the 40 came up and I have found they don't pack well in a suitcase. A buddy is nice, my wife is a great one but often she has other ideas as to what she wants on vacation. Perhaps the OP does not have a buddy who has the same funding, same vacation and same plans? So, your not going to dive just because the perfect buddy cannot come along? What if you have to dive with a DM or a buddy who you just met--your not going to dive? I have watched DMs in foeign places dissappear. Maybe a small pony, one of the prerigged types might be an easy way to have a little safety edge?

N

used a few times? :confused: Um, if a diver (not you of course) used a spare air "a few times" (at least in real need not practice drills) perhaps golf would be a better option.

I went to bonaire last year and one of our divers ran out of air THREE TIMES in the week - and he only did a couple dives a day. I think he's on the black list for our school now :)

That's the problem. People actually do use them a few times in drills if they are smart and the things craps itself. I deploy and empty(400-500psi) my pony at least every other local trip. Fills are free and it's yet to let me down. I trust it. A spare air I would not.

What about a pure o2 spare air.... (Troll count 1)

The pure O2 spare air is right next to the Trimix Spare Air and across from the Hydreliox spare air in Isle 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom