Nitrox Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
edit*** but I'll admit that I thought it would be funny to have 2 really big spare air stickers made and put on my doubles....

*MEMORY ERASER ENGAGED*
Attenion all, please forget that David mentioned this. When I do this, I want to claim it was all my idea and take all the credit. I am sooo doing that!

Thinking of buying a nitrox Spare Air. Any opinions?

Deciding between a regular or nitrox Spare Air is like making a bulletproof vest from toilet paper, then wondering if you should have used scented or unscented.

It gives you just enough air to run out twice. On the other hand, the second time you run out, you'll be closer to the surface.

A better plan would be:

Don't run out of air in the first place. Watch your gas and surface before you get past the point where you don't have enough to surface you and your buddy.

Dive with a good buddy who does the same.

Terry

I'm new to the sport and new to this site, but I've seen the Spare air bashing and have wanted to chime in with a few thoughts and be free to tell me if I'm wrong. (Sorry to Jack the thread but I think the Nitrox thing has been answered)
-If a new diver plans on diving at 90' or less, or anyone for that matter, (plan your dive, dive your plan thing) wouldn't the 3.0 spare air be OK to pack. To me it is kinda like the argument over concealed carry weapons, you can carry a 45 auto but if it is too big to pack around and you leave it at home it doesn't do you any good, and then a .380 looks pretty good at that point. Anyway- If you have an equip failure at this depth and have a spare air it would be much better to make it to the surface with air then without. I agree, even with my novice knowledge that if you go any deeper the spare air is not adequate and you should have adequate gear at that point ie: pony tank. What do you think? Am I way off base here? Thanks

I appreciate the reply,
I've seen the math and 90' would probably be a max, no stops, etc. just an emergency ascent. Do you guys carry a pony on all your dives regardless of depth? I'm just thinking in that dive depth range use of a spare air would be better then no spare air at all. I agree that a pony set-up would be much better, but do you travel with them and do you pack a pony tank on every dive. I'm also not talking about an out of air situation, because that should ideally never happen, I'm more concerned about an equipment failure that no one could account for. Not trying to re-hash old discussions but just a newbie trying to learn. Thanks again

For a 90 foot dive I either have a reliable buddy or a set of doubles.

IMHO a spare air is WORSE than no spare air at all as it can give a false sense of security.

salth2owannabe...glad as a new diver you are seeking valid information!!

I am not a fan at all for the Spare Air gas systems--enough said.

I am a fan of recreational sized pony cylinders for divers regardless of the NDL depth they are diving or if it is solo diving or with a buddy along....always a win-win situation. :wink:

I persl. carry a pony cylinder (19cf) with me on 'all' sport dives I am making with my standard 'singles' rig of a HP steel 130cf cylinder w/H-valve. OOG and catastrophic eqpt. failure on occasion do occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom