Nitrox Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks,
I'll stop with the spare air thing.
I've also seen the arguments on the redundant air source, or not, but I'm new and would really like to have a redundant air source on every dive just for my peace of mind more then anything else. I've always been looking more towards the pony tank, but I thought for warm water travel or shallow dives the spare air convenience might be nice as a second option.
Thanks again for your imput.

I persl. carry a pony cylinder (19cf) with me on 'all' sport dives I am making with my standard 'singles' rig of a HP steel 130cf cylinder w/H-valve. OOG and catastrophic eqpt. failure on occasion do occur.

H valve and a pony? I carry a second mask and a first stage on each double - as well as a deco bottle, but three first stages for recreational diving seems excessive. Its not like your tank is going to explode and you will loose all your air... unless Whaler Kyle is your dive buddy.

Relying on any type of spare air for added comfort is like relying on John Wayne Gacey as a baby sitter.

H valve and a pony? I carry a second mask and a first stage on each double - as well as a deco bottle, but three first stages for recreational diving seems excessive. Its not like your tank is going to explode and you will loose all your air... unless Whaler Kyle is your dive buddy.

The H-valve on the single is no better than the $1 valve to cylinder o-ring it sports....I have seen them go....next thing you know you have 'no gas real fast'....thats just one of the reasons for the pony cylinder. :wink: Who is this Whaler Kyle??

A 40cf AL bottle and a cheap reg wouldn't cost much more, and be a helluva lot more useful.

A 40cf AL bottle and a cheap reg wouldn't cost much more, and be a helluva lot more useful.

But how is he going to carry that on an airliner? I think the poor guy just wanted a fall back when he was away on vacation. Carrying anything larger than a 12 cf or maybe a 19 cf is problematic for airline travel. TSA stole the tweezers out of my checked luggage:rofl3:, a 40 cf bottle under his arm may not pack very well. N

It gives you just enough air to run out twice. On the other hand, the second time you run out, you'll be closer to the surface.

:rofl3: Best reply yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom