Nitrox Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not on any i know, the process of turning them on to check the % resets that clock. I cant think of a single one that puts itself back to air unless its in the off mode.

Okay, now I'm confused . . . turning on your computer to check the . . . nitrox %? . . . resets your CNS clock?

And 'puts itself back to air' . . . all uwatecs will flip back to air after a pre-selected time (24 hrs, 36, hrs, 48 . . . or never).

Yep, I think most Oceanic/Aires dive computer owners turn Default off forever.

If you had Default off, it should have stayed off. Your computer is fancier than any of mine, but that should be the case - unless they changed it. So, did you check your computer? Is it still off?

I hope you downloaded from the site I linked. If you need additional help, call toll-free: (800) 435-3483. I called so many times over my misunderstanding dive log software for my PC they recognized my voice the next day but they are nice.

BTW, if you ever see your computer show more than 1.6 start ascending. Don't wait for 1.7 or 1.8. :wink:

I'll download it tonight so it's on my laptop, thanks! Actually, I started ascending at 1.7. I was so shocked to see the 1.6 that I didn't react immediately. It was a drift dive and I'm guessing I drifted back down while playing with the computer trying to figure out what was going on. I finally put on the afterburners and ascended high enough to get up to where the reading was above 1.6. I was more concerned with my dive buddy because he's almost always deeper than I am by 10 feet or so and I was trying to signal him to join me.

Okay, now I'm confused . . . turning on your computer to check the . . . nitrox %? . . . resets your CNS clock?

And 'puts itself back to air' . . . all uwatecs will flip back to air after a pre-selected time (24 hrs, 36, hrs, 48 . . . or never).

Jax, doesn't GUE's take on computers become more and more compelling with every post on this thread.

For those that do not know what I am referring to: All of the pp02 related limitations, the critical NDL numbers, and even deco schedules can be safely and easily calculated on the fly with the grey matter between our ears. Jax and I learned the basics of that a few weeks ago and it is so simple and powerful that you begin to wonder who really benefits from the purchase of a computer. And yes, I (still) have two of the air-integrated variety but I am now less worried about what they tell me - or don't.

Jax, doesn't GUE's take on computers become more and more compelling with every post on this thread.

Absolutely not!

"Use a standard gas (32%) and don't go under 100fsw." ? ?

Where is the thinking diver? *I* know how to calculate the MOD, EAD, CNS, & OTU loads. I believe in a best mix, & making my own decisions on PPO2 levels. As a tool, I expect my computer to report facts as measured, & I'll make my own decisions.

Last edited:
I believe in a best mix

Sounds like a good topic for a new thread. Best mix vs. standardized mixes. :popcorn:

I'll download it tonight so it's on my laptop, thanks! Actually, I started ascending at 1.7. I was so shocked to see the 1.6 that I didn't react immediately. It was a drift dive and I'm guessing I drifted back down while playing with the computer trying to figure out what was going on. I finally put on the afterburners and ascended high enough to get up to where the reading was above 1.6. I was more concerned with my dive buddy because he's almost always deeper than I am by 10 feet or so and I was trying to signal him to join me.
Ok I don't think you confirmed either way, but I suspect that Default was On, and when you did not set your FO2 for that dive, it used 50% - a protection built in to protect divers who try to bluff with their computers rather than study them. My home bud wears the same brand as me so I can read it for him, as he doesn't want to learn much.

Can you download the dive and attach it?

These side discussions about how other brands operate are confusing as all brands are different.

Absolutely not!

"Use a standard gas (32%) and don't go unde 100fsw." ? ?

Where is the thinking diver? *I* know how to calculate the MOD, EAD, CNS, & OTU loads. I believe in a best mix, & making my own decisions on PPO2 levels. As a tool, I expect my computer to report facts as measured, & I'll make my own decisions.

I also felt initially that the standard gas rule (32%) and the 100fsw limit is an arbitrary constraint. When I planned a dive to 130' (really beyond my current AOW limit) I realized that no matter what Nitrox mix I use, this dive does not make much sense.

Either the bottom time is not worth the hassle and cost of getting there or you are pushing the ppO2 while still having to be concerned with narc. I'll enjoy the U boats and other stuff beyond 100' later 'the right way' with trimix and deco. This way I'll have the time to see and the capacity to remember. Don't get me wrong, I love and use Nitrox; 32% and the resulting MOD just seems to be a sensible choice no matter who promotes it.

As far as the OP's experience with her computer is concerned, I was thrown exactly the same curveball by my Oceanic VT3 about 2 week ago. The difference was that just a few days ago I had learned to figure out the important numbers quickly in my brain. After the first shock of seeing the blinking "You are going to tox" display I thought "No way Jose" (or whoever wrote the program) and continued the dive. As you can predict from earlier posts here, it was not long until the computer complained about deco violation (due to the physically impossible 40%O2 79%N2 default). Again, I ignored the box and dived the plan with the memorized numbers of MOD, max BT, and turn pressure.

Disclaimer: I have a vested interest in being suspicious about the advice of a computer; I design software and firmware for a living :wink:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
Ok I don't think you confirmed either way, but I suspect that Default was On, and when you did not set your FO2 for that dive, it used 50% - a protection built in to protect divers who try to bluff with their computers rather than study them. My home bud wears the same brand as me so I can read it for him, as he doesn't want to learn much.

Can you download the dive and attach it?

These side discussions about how other brands operate are confusing as all brands are different.

I'll see if I can do it. At least I now know to set the percentage for each dive and will do so in the future. I know I had turned the Default off on the prior dives, but honestly, I can't remember about the dives this day. I was more concerned about the numbers of hammerheads that might be present and how to get back into the Zodiac when the dive was over. I'm still on the learning curve. :)

I'll see if I can do it. At least I now know to set the percentage for each dive and will do so in the future. I know I had turned the Default off on the prior dives, but honestly, I can't remember about the dives this day. I was more concerned about the numbers of hammerheads that might be present and how to get back into the Zodiac when the dive was over. I'm still on the learning curve. :)
I don't. I have the Default Off and it stays off, so the FO2 stays the same. I just checked mine from last August - still the same. But checking your Default and FO2 every dive would be fine until you learn what you are doing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom