Nitrox or Air for 3 days dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello, I took the Nitrox course a while ago and can't decide what's best now.

In dec. I'm doing three consecutive day diving (two in the morning every day) in Florida Keys, doind wrecks dives like Spiegel Grove and Thunderbolt. They are around 100feet depth.

Shoud I dive with Nitrox or Air?

Thank you so much for the help.

Nitrox. The answer is always nitrox.

answer isn't always nitrox, but at 100ft, I would be on EAN32, especially since you will be in an area where Nitrox is inexpensive and readily available.

Yup....what they said. Call it the placebo effect, call me crazy, don't care. Diving longer dives on Nitrox and I don't need the nap that I do on air. That alone is reason enough for Nitrox. At 100 feet, the extended bottom time is just a bonus!

Safe travels!
Jay

How is it you took the Nitrox course and you don't know what your best mix would be on these dives? We are not talking Trimix here just plain ole basic nitrox. One other quick point, if you were not going to use nitrox, why take the course?

Hello, I took the Nitrox course a while ago and can't decide what's best now.

In dec. I'm doing three consecutive day diving (two in the morning every day) in Florida Keys, doind wrecks dives like Spiegel Grove and Thunderbolt. They are around 100feet depth.

Shoud I dive with Nitrox or Air?

Thank you so much for the help.

Your average depth for the Upper Keys wrecks like the Spiegel Grove, Duane, Eagle, and Thunder Bolt will be in the 70s or 80s feet. The difference in NDLs will be even greater. At 80 feet, the EAN32 DSAT NDL is 49 minutes, on air, it is 30 minutes. That's nearly 2 hours longer for your 6 dives, assuming you have the gas to be NDL limited.

The NDLs above are for 1st dive each of your 3 days, 2nd dive will have shorter NDL, but differential between 32 and air will be nearly the same.

Last edited:
Your average depth for the Upper Keys wrecks like the Spiegel Grove, Duane, Eagle, and Thunder Bolt will be in the 70s or 80s feet. The difference in NDLs will be even greater. At 80 feet, the EAN32 DSAT NDL is 49 minutes, on air, it is 30 minutes. That's nearly 2 hours longer for your 6 dives, assuming you have the gas to be NDL limited.

That was going to be my question: is your air consumption low enough for NDL to be limiting?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom