Nitrox on Little Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always dive nitrox on LC. no real difference for 1st dive of the day but you end up with extended depth/bottom time for dives 2 and 3.
Also hard to manage a decent night dive there if you have been using air all day.

Yeah, I will agree with the others. I am a bit of an air hog, so I am probably not really getting an extended bottom time value from using nitrox, but I do feel like I am much less fatigued by the end of the 3rd dive when diving nitrox. Given the distance to the chamber and the risks involved, I feel like the cost of the nitrox is a small price to pay for the added safety factor I get from it. And before anybody comes in and says you don't get added safety if you set your computer to your nitrox mix...I am generally going to dive the same dive time and depth profile no matter what, due to LCBR's dive time limits and my air usage. I can't remember the last time I actually came up against a no-deco time limit forcing me to surface before I ran out of air at LC. So if I dive that profile with nitrox instead of air, I will be safer by some margin, and that is good enough for me.

If $170 for Nitrox is a deal-breaker on a trip to the Cayman Islands, you're going to the wrong place. Cayman aint cheap and Nitrox is inexpensive insurance...

If $170 for Nitrox is a deal-breaker on a trip to the Cayman Islands, you're going to the wrong place. Cayman aint cheap and Nitrox is inexpensive insurance...

WOW....where did I ever say $170 would be deal breaker? I merely asked if there was any real benefit to dive with nitrox, given the typical boat dive from LCBR. I am fully aware of the cost to go to Little Cayman and my ability to pay is none of your concern, nor is it our first time there. So either offer a constructive answer to the original question or kindly just scroll on by. Good day, sir.

WOW....where did I ever say $170 would be deal breaker? I merely asked if there was any real benefit to dive with nitrox, given the typical boat dive from LCBR. I am fully aware of the cost to go to Little Cayman and my ability to pay is none of your concern, nor is it our first time there. So either offer a constructive answer to the original question or kindly just scroll on by. Good day, sir.

You’re doing 17 dives in 5/6 days and wonder if there is any benefit to Nitrox? So besides the $, what is the downside? :(

(Good luck on the “scroll on by” on SB).

You’re doing 17 dives in 5/6 days and wonder if there is any benefit to Nitrox? So besides the $, what is the downside? :(

(Good luck on the “scroll on by” on SB).

Obviously no downside. I've already stated we will be doing nitrox.

Well done, @jcm1911a1 , def good decision, you won't regret it.

And, FWIW, totally +1 on @AggieDiver's response above--that's me too (especially given how much jockeying I do to get into position for UW photos) and man are you right on all counts!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom