Nitrox on Brac?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brodydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We're planning on doing the 3 dives a day package at Cayman Brac Beach Resort. Would you recommend using nitrox or maybe even nitrox for just the first dive? Do you ever run out of bottom time if you're doing 3 dives a day there and not using nitrox?

They don't allow you to go deeper than 115. So no reason to not use nitrox unless you want to save money. Similarly, the dive times are controlled, so even if you had a really low sac/rmv, you would not be able to take too much advantage of increased ean32 bottom time.

Not everyone on the boat will have ean32, so they will use the lowest common denominator.

I disagree. Even if bottom times are limited, depth on dives 2 and 3 is not. Being limited to the top of the wall is not as interesting as being able to head down a bit while on nitrox for these dives. When on Brac or LC and doing 3 tanks per day, we always dive nitrox. Presumably if you come to Brac or LC, you come for the wall diving. Why impose constraints on yourself.

Not necessary but...You don't have to go to 115' for nitrox to be of benefit. IMHO, anything over 60 ft. approaching (and exceeding if you do it right :)) 60 min on 2nd or 3rd dives has some benefit. I'm older (& hopefully wiser :)) and my wife has had some minor (if there is such a thing) DCS issues. These days we dive nitrox when available (and at CBBR & LCBR it's really easy). Again, IMHO, YMMV.

Hi @Brodydog

I can't think of a good reason not to dive nitrox all week, the one time fee for all your tanks is quite reasonable. I would imagine you could pretty easily skip nitrox for the 2nd and 3rd dive each day if you feel strongly.

I was on Cayman Brac at the end of October of last year, stayed at CBBR and dived with Reef Divers Cayman Brac Beach Resort/Reef Divers Oct 23-30, 2017. I got in only 15 dives as we lost one entire day to Tropical Storm Phillipe. I describe the dive times I got in my review.

Nitrox ran 30% all week, tank fills were generally a little over 3000 psi (2814-3120). The five 1st deep dives varied in max depth between 91 and 115 feet for me, with avg depths of 58-64 feet. I was never close to deco. I was gas limited only at Orange Canyon, where the wall started deeper, avg depth was greatest, and a moderate current came up mid dive to swim against on the return. The current was particularly strong at mid water, one unfortunate woman missed the boat and had to be picked up a fairly considerable distance down current after everyone else had boarded. A good reason for carrying an SMB on all dives, even at easy Caribbean resorts.

The 2nd and 3rd dives had max depths of 44-66 feet with avg depths of only 31-41 feet.

Hi @Brodydog

the one time fee for all your tanks is quite reasonable.

I missed the one time fee on their website. All I saw was a per tank fee. Do you happen to remember the weekly fee? Not that it matters, I just like to know my costs up front. Most likely we'll stick with nitrox.

I had already read your trip report several times @scubadada. Very informative.

I've been bouncing back and forth between CBBR and LCBR. We've decided to save a $1000 and also to dodge the Grand Cayman airport by going to CBBR. We'll be flying into the Brac via Miami. I really don't like the horror stories I've been reading about the lines at GCM. I'm hoping to get over to Bloody Bay for a peek though. We did Aggressor a few years ago and were not able to make the crossing. How disappointing.

Enjoy your trip. I hope you can make it over to BB Marine Park. It really is very special, IMHO. I've been to LCBR multiple times and while there are better airport experiences than GCM, we've never had any real problems (and nothing that would deter me from traveling to LC). Not to downplay other traveler's issues, but problems don't occur all the time. Luck of the draw. YMMV. CB is a great destination as well. Have fun. :)

Hi Tammy,

I could not remember the amount, so I went back and looked. It was not as inexpensive as I thought, $170 for the week, so $10 per tank rather than the advertised $12. I get my nitrox fees mixed up, I was thinking it was $100 per week, I've paid that several times.

Due to high seas, we didn't get to Little Cayman during my week on Brac. Of course, I've been to Little Cayman twice. My wife and I took the Miami flight to Brac one year on our way to Little Cayman. Great on the way out, too bad you have to go through Grand Cayman on the way back. My trip to Brac was Monday-Monday, made all the difference, GCM was deserted

Best, Craig

too bad you have to go through Grand Cayman on the way back.

I had forgotten that. Yapta.com lies. It says there is a nonstop flight on the return trip in Oct. I was hoping they had changed flight schedules since I originally read that here. But alas Cayman Air says no direct home. Darn.

Now I may consider doing a Friday to Friday to Little Cayman. We haven't booked anything yet.

Anyone been through Grand Cayman airport on a Friday? Is that considered non peak?

Back
Top Bottom