NITROX marked tanks MUST be filled to 24% or greater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The part I do not understand is """The standard SCUBA cylinder doesn't meet these requirements."""" Is this another definition of perhaps standard. in that a scuba tank contains air.

The "standard" scuba tank as you buy it of the showroom floor isn't (usually) lubed with 02 compatible lubricant around the valve neck and usually doesn't use O2 compatible rubber O-rings on the valve. (That's part of what cleaning a tanks for O2 consists of, replacing the O-ring and removing all the old lube and using O2 compatible lube). Some shops do sell all their tanks "O2 ready" but since some do not, it's the general rule to be on the safe side. Sort of like you assume every gun is loaded until you look in the chamber and see for yourself. If you assume *every* tank doesn't have O2 rings and lube in it when you purchase it, then you don't have a case of "but the guy at the shop told me it did" incidents.

I think nowadays that isn't such a worry as it was years ago when nitrox was the exception. All the shops around here just use 02 compatible lube regardless. It's cheaper to stock one can of lube than it is to stock "air" lube and also stock O2 compatible lube. As far as I understand it, you can use 02 compatible lube on air tanks and nitrox tanks, but you can't use non 02 compatible lube on nitrox tanks. Plus having just one lube takes the hazard out of the guy who hasn't had his morning coffee yet grabbed the wrong can of lube and greased your nitrox valve threads at 8 am on Monday morning.

The last tank I bought had "certified for use up to 40% nitrox" sticker on the valve, but I don't think that meant the whole tank assembly as the valve manufacturer probably doesn't have any control over what tank his valve goes on when it leaves the factory and what lube the guy who put it on the tank used. I think that just meant the actual valve only was certified for nitrox.

The "standard" scuba tank as you buy it of the showroom floor isn't (usually) lubed with 02 compatible lubricant around the valve neck and usually doesn't use O2 compatible rubber O-rings on the valve. (That's part of what cleaning a tanks for O2 consists of, replacing the O-ring and removing all the old lube and using O2 compatible lube). Some shops do sell all their tanks "O2 ready" but since some do not, it's the general rule to be on the safe side. Sort of like you assume every gun is loaded until you look in the chamber and see for yourself. If you assume *every* tank doesn't have O2 rings and lube in it when you purchase it, then you don't have a case of "but the guy at the shop told me it did" incidents.

I think nowadays that isn't such a worry as it was years ago when nitrox was the exception. All the shops around here just use 02 compatible lube regardless. It's cheaper to stock one can of lube than it is to stock "air" lube and also stock O2 compatible lube. As far as I understand it, you can use 02 compatible lube on air tanks and nitrox tanks, but you can't use non 02 compatible lube on nitrox tanks. Plus having just one lube takes the hazard out of the guy who hasn't had his morning coffee yet grabbed the wrong can of lube and greased your nitrox valve threads at 8 am on Monday morning.

The last tank I bought had "certified for use up to 40% nitrox" sticker on the valve, but I don't think that meant the whole tank assembly as the valve manufacturer probably doesn't have any control over what tank his valve goes on when it leaves the factory and what lube the guy who put it on the tank used. I think that just meant the actual valve only was certified for nitrox.

Yes you are correct the manufacturer seldom sends a tank wit a valve on it and the shop puts on one. the tank I believe is O2 clean but for liability they say for use up to 40%. As you suggested the valve will be the limiting factor with a new tank as to being O2 compatable..

Tursiops thanks for supplying the reference to the 2009 (current) PADI EANX manual.

It is really CGA that says the above and then by reference gets incorporated into the Federal Regulations. But regardless I am surprised that PADI is saying that and has been for so long. Especially given their emphasis on standards and risk management.

Yes CGA says it and some tank manufacturers and some sources call for much higher levels.. When it comes to the 23.5 the lowest bidder got ti except for one that was below 23.5. I think the CGA may have been the leverage amount that made it 23.5 and not lower.

What, your LDS didn't tell you that since January 1st, you need an EPA "hyperoxygenated mixed gas discharge permit" if your regulator discharges any gas mixture other than what is normal for surface respiration. So using nitrox without the proper EPA permit could get you in trouble, and the tank labels and fill requirements are just there so they know which tanks to check first.

Honest. You don't believe me? I might be trying to contribute to the FUD your LDS pushes, so you'll buy extra tanks for each blend??

Gee, you could always email or write to the DOT directly. And the EPA. Both of them have this really crude nasty habit of answering questions like this which diplomatically say "Your LDS has been grossly misinformed with alternative facts."(G)

And remember to put "ENNEA GAS MIX ONLY" labels on your tanks, on all of your tanks. That's Greek for "Nine gas mix" and if we're being honest about it, there are nine significant gasses in "air" and "nitrox" as well. ENNEA GAS MIX covers all of them.

And remember to put "ENNEA GAS MIX ONLY" labels on your tanks, on all of your tanks.
I think "MALAKA GAS MIX ONLY" would be more appropriate. :wink:

What, your LDS didn't tell you that since January 1st, you need an EPA "hyperoxygenated mixed gas discharge permit" if your regulator discharges any gas mixture other than what is normal for surface respiration. So using nitrox without the proper EPA permit could get you in trouble, and the tank labels and fill requirements are just there so they know which tanks to check first.

You have any kind of link or literature on this subject? I checked on EPA.gov and I can't seem to find anything on the subject. Also googled it and can't seem to find anything about it either.

Just want to read up on it. Make sure it's not something that's hearsay.

You have any kind of link or literature on this subject? I checked on EPA.gov and I can't seem to find anything on the subject. Also googled it and can't seem to find anything about it either.

Just want to read up on it. Make sure it's not something that's hearsay.
Trump got it stopped.

It's good that Trump stopped the move to add hydrogen hydroxide to the list of chemicals banned by the EPA. :wink:

That's nice, and the way I feel it should be. I've run into a few shops, though, that bank 32% and still require O2 cleaning...another of the 'their shop, their rules' situation if that's where I want/need to get fills.

Ran into this at Key Largo Ocean Divers in Feb of this year. The tank guy wasn't going to fill my buddies steel 100 with banked 32 because it didn't have a Nitrox sticker. I couldn't believe it. In KL you would expect people to know what's what.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom