Nitrox manual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasaint

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am trying to buy a Nitrox manual for a class my wife will be taking while we are on vacation. We need to buy the book in advance and study it, but I am finding there to be more than one book out there.

Can anyone tell me if there is a standard book that we need to purchase, and also where would be the best place to get it? Do NAUI and PADI have different standards which they go by as well?

All help is much appreciated!

Ask your instructor which book he wants you to buy. Each agency has their own table. Don't buy a book unless your instructor demanded it.

Most diveshops have you pick up the book, read it, return, take a test, and then get a card after they demonstrate a few things to you. Why wait till you go on vacation?

At least one agency issue the card from the internet.

We are going on to Cozumel and I am Nitrox certified but my wife isn't. If she studies the book prior to us getting there, she then has a 2 hour class and does 2 dives, which we were already planning on doing. The cost since we will be diving with the them already is only $125. The LDS is $200 and requires more class time which we don't reallly have.

Does anyone have any expereince with an online Nitrox course? I found this company -

Online Nitrox Certification - Scuba

It looks to be a good fit, but I am always a little leery.
scam - see http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/whine-cheeze/210260-line-nitrox-course-scams.html

You simply need to check with wherever you are going, what agency will the certification be, PADI, NAUI, whatever, and find out what they use. They each have their own materials. Then if you are doing the reading ahead, get the book, DVD, or whatever it is you need. If the place you are going includes the materials, see if they will deduct the cost of it from the course fee if you have your own.

Does anyone have any expereince with an online Nitrox course? I found this company -

Online Nitrox Certification - Scuba

It looks to be a good fit, but I am always a little leery.
I looked at them because I don't have time for classes also and in the end decided against it.

If you click on the FAQ link it tells you that the card is issued by SDA or Scuba Divers of America. Not an agency I've ever heard of before.

At the bottom of the FAQ page is listed Aquastrophics Dive/Travel in Lake Havasu AZ.
If you then go to the SDA website, they list an address in Parker Arizona as their "world headquarters" However the phone number is the SAME...So I think that it's a diveop who is self-certifying - not sure how universally recognized that would be. Anybody can put up a webpage also...

YMMV, but I wouldn't go anywhere near this.

Later on I talked to my LDS owner and he said if I buy the book/course from him, read it, take the test and come in one afternoon (to learn how to use an analyzer) that's all I need to do, there's no longer a dive requirement with some agencies.

So you might check locally.

I appreciate everyone's advice on both the manual as well as the online course...... Very helpful.

I looks like I'll just buy the book in advance and have my wife take the short course while we are in Cozumel. Hopefully it is short, otherwise whe won't be too happy with me!

One of the many things I had to do during my DM was sit in on a nitrox class... when I took the nitrox class you had to take an extended final and have 2 actual nitrox dives. I wanted to see the "new" format. The manual was newer than mine but pretty much the same, it should be the standard PADI EAN manual. But, I agree - check with your instructor first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom