Nitrox in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rmarrash

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My trip to Maui is coming up on Friday. As I look at all of the different recommendations of outfits to dive with one thing I seem to see a lack of is Nitrox fills. Is it just not very common to use Nitrox around Maui or is it limited to a few shops?

Thanks
Russell

You can get nitrox on Maui. It's just not that common on the diveboats because most profiles can easily be done on air.

A typical 2 tank trip out of Kihei is first a dive at Molokini, and then one back along S. Maui shore. The dive at Molokini will almost certainly be multilevel, with a good portion of the later part of the dive being shallow. Using air doesn't change your dive time. Most of the 2nd dives are shallow enough, that nitrox doesn't offer much if any additional bottom time.

The one notable exception is the St. Anthony's wreck and the adjacent tire and concrete artificial reef. With a depth of 65' or so and a flat bottom, your NDL time becomes the limit for bottom time.

I don't think it's common, but B&B can provide you with Nitrox, if you let them know ahead of time.

There is a shop just to the town side of the boat launch harbor that will custom mix just about anything you want. Last time I was there prices were very reasonable. Nice people there. The only downside, not much of one though, was that you needed to pick up tanks yourself, not delivered to the boat.

Give me a bit of time and I'll try to remember their name. If I can't I think most any shop, like Ed Robinson, for example, can steer you to it.

If you make arrangements in advance any decent charter boat will have nitrox for your dives. There are multiple shops to rent nitrox tanks, in both Kihei and Lahaina. Not many operators on Maui are pushing Nitrox, I believe because it is more of a hassle than it's worth for most of them. Most will get it for you but have little incentive to sell it.

I have seen a few divers benefit from EANx when doing Extended Horizon's Thursday afternoon Carthaginian trip as their second charter of the day.

Some people dive Nitrox all the time. Back in San Diego I was a member of a fill club(SDUA) that would give me unlimited nitrox fills for 60 or so per month...I dove Nitrox an every dive I did...
Some people feel better diving Nitrox and they like that extra safety margin... I liked having the additional bottom time.

If you need some nitrox fills and are in South Maui, call up B&B Scuba. They work with most South Maui dive ops for Nitrox.

I hope this helps!

Sean

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Main reason I like it is not the NDL times but rather it makes my mouth feel a little less dry and I like the extra margin it gives.

Russell

Nitrox can also be procured from Maui Dreams Dive Co. in Kihei and are cheaper than B&B for standard mixes of 32 and 36% -- $10/tank.

You can also get it from Pacific Dive and Hawaiian Rafting Adventures (Dive Maui), both in Lahaina.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Main reason I like it is not the NDL times but rather it makes my mouth feel a little less dry and I like the extra margin it gives.

Russell

I completely agree with you on the minimizing of dry mouth when using nitrox!

EAN36 is available, upon request, for either the Lanai or West Maui charters on Extended Horizons. Analyzer provided. Call the office for details. 1-888-DIVE-MAUi (1-888-348-3628)

Back
Top Bottom