Nitrox in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The have a bio filter you can use to add some moisture to your air. Maybe you can save some cash if you don't need Nitrox:

Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Regulators: Bio-Filter

Sean
The jury is out on this product.

There are some health concerns (what grows well in warm, dark, moist environments and wouldn't be good to inhale?) with it unless you maintain it perfectly.

Just a heads up...

Looking through SB, it looks like all the people who owned the product liked it. Didn't hear a mention of your concerns. I am not selling the product nor do I use it.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-147552.html

I take that back.. I saw a single mention... probably good to maintain it... 100% positive reviews though...

Sean

Looking through SB, it looks like all the people who owned the product liked it. Didn't hear a mention of your concerns. I am not selling the product nor do I use it.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-147552.html

I take that back.. I saw a single mention... probably good to maintain it... 100% positive reviews though...

Sean
I wasn't meaning to suggest any impropriety, Sean... just that there's bits floating around about the actual usefulness of this product not being as good as it sounds.

Considering the $130 price tag (per LeisurePro), and a refill kit necessary every 50 dives or so (as far as I can tell), at ~$25... if Nitrox solves your problem of dry mouth, then it would take a bit of diving (~25 dives) to recover the cost difference.

Not to mention the fact that it's one more piece of equipment that needs to be serviced annually, and extra weight in the reg bag on the airplane.

We have a couple of bio filters. While on most dives of under an hour the dry mouth thing isn't an issue it can be an issue on some of those two hour shore dives I've done with my wife. Shallow Maui shore dives are pretty darn common aren't they?

The one time the bio filter really saved my bacon was when we were on a vacation on Roatan and I developed a sore throat. There was no way I could dive with a sore throat so I slipped on the bio filter and presto, diving continued.

Cleaning them isn't a big deal, using distilled water helps.

Another simple solution is to carry a bottle of water with you while diving. Or as I've seen Charlie99 mention a Capri Sun drink (they are simpler to drink from than a bottle underwater) I've also known folks that carry a small camel back -

Aloha, Tim

But Tim things can grow inside of a camel back, lol.

A Capri Sun juicepack can grow some funny stuff too. That is if you do like me and leave an used one in the BCD pocket for a few days.

Luckily, the solution wass to just go do a couple of dives to rinse everything out. :D

I'm looking forward to heading back to Maui !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dec 10-Feb 11 and then again Feb 25-March 31.

yup ... they can also grow in your drinking glass if you never wash it ... which reminds me, when did I last wash my dishes? :wink:

They make you wash dishes at McDonalds?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom