Nitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To me the point of the exercise is to dive. so if the shop will give you an opportunity to dive as part of the course, I am going to take it.

My wife just needed the C-card for an upcoming trip we had, so she did the no dive course. She now loves Nitrox and swears to only use it in future.

I do laugh at the "only ever nitrox" people. Either completely sucked in by shiny marketing or have more money than sense. If they also own apple products i suspect its the latter.

I do laugh at the "only ever nitrox" people. Either completely sucked in by shiny marketing or have more money than sense. If they also own apple products i suspect its the latter.

Fair point. Then again, if I have to shell out for a Nitrox fill to dive with my wife, so be it. Call me an incurable romantic, but there is something to be said for drifting lazily over the reef with your wife having your little fingers intertwined.

When I want to do something more challenging she bails and I am left looking for a buddy. Fortunately there are a few of those at work for weekend wreck diving.:D

I agree with the above. Nitrox is a tool. Did a wreck dive a few months ago and the Nitrox increased my NDL from (I think it was) 11 minutes to 18 minutes. Although Nitrox can add time to my NDL, I probably will already be out of the water because I've run out of air...

But if I'm doing multiple dives per day, a few days in a row, then I would consider using Nitrox.

Either completely sucked in by shiny marketing or have more money than sense.
I dive 32% almost exclusively and I like to think I have more sense than money. I pay $550 for a year's worth of fills -- why not dive 32% under those circumstances?

Nitrox...not a very hard course once you master a couple of principles and formulas. My instructor was a relatively young but very keen individual. We went through the do's and don't of nitrox diving, the formulas to accurately find the Equivalent Air Depth based on actual depth and mix, figure out best mix for planned depth, etc and we also used EAN 32, EAN 36 and air tables (for non standard EAN mix) as well as computer for planning dives. as part of Plan the dive and dive the plan, we also covered limiting factors for specific dives such as gaz carried (based on SAC and planned depth), max and contingency depth for mix being used, O2 toxicity, etc. In fact, a year later, I went through the TDI manual of Advanced Nitrox (I am planning to take next spring the Advanced Nitrox/deco proc combination course) and realized I was pretty well familiar with most of the content.

Nitrox vs Air...interesting debate. I just returned from Cozumel where I had a free Nitrox upgrade due to the fact I was qualified and so did my girlfriend. That was a no brainer for us especially when we could have dove as much as 4 times a day (max we did was 3).

Around here, my LDS does not charge a premium for Nitrox fill. With my girlfriend, my son and myself all EAN qualified, I will normally carry EAN 32 in my set of doubles (O clean) and all single tanks (not O clean) and then adapt accordingly as to the dives I am planning, the locations and the type of fills available.

I just returned from a week on Roatan, where I did 23 dives in six days. First time using all NITROX (32%) and I have to say that I felt better after four dives in a day than I usually do after two on air. I don't think it is a myth or scam.

I don't think it is worth the price for my local diving where it is almost twice as much and I usually only do two dives a day anyway. It definitely has it's place.

Just did the SSI Nitrox class.. need an 80% to pass and there is a dive along with the class. The test had a table calculation with 2 dives calculating all the goodies and used it for 3 questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom