Nitrox Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is a nitrox compressor?

How about a regular compressor and adding a Nitrox Stick? I have a 3phase for sale...just had a yearly checkup....turned head and coughed perfectly :D Might be a long boat ride out to you though....

I am looking for a good deal on a used or new Nitrox Compressor.

You are going to have to be a little more specific as to your needs. You can get new, Nitrox capable compressors starting at about $3300 and go up exponentially from there ... depending on size and configuration.

If you let us know how many tanks you plan to fill at a time, then maybe we can suggest something.

Just my $.02

I am looking for a Nitrox Compressor for personal use. I am using 30-40 tanks a week, so I think around 7.5 hp will be sufficient. I will be interested in a new or used if the price right.

Urchinhunter, you need to specify power drive, can we presume electric, 3 phase? Single phase, 220 are seen once in awhile but one needs a 40 amp breaker. I don't know what's available in NS, but assume 50 cycle which may not be a problem.

Anyway, the task is not difficult on the used equipment market. The 7.5 hp is exactly the kind of unit which small USA fire depts are unloading every week on EBay and so forth. Look for something which has support in the parts chain which is less easy to do. Look for low hours, less than 1000, clean appearance and reputable seller. Fire depts are careful about maintenance but inquire anyway. Ingersoll Rand and American Bristol might be a PITA. Try late model Mako, Bauer, Compair, Hamworthy (maybe), or even Alkin, Coltri, etc in the new, retail market. Compare the power availability to the power specified. Don't get in the situation where you have to visit Scubaboard looking for manuals, parts, advice, handholding and general consultation because there is nobody else to talk to. We will help but there are limitations.

Pumping NITROX always involves a slight risk. Properly managed, it is a relatively safe operation. Asking for a "NITROX compressor" is unsettling to me. Do you know what you are talking about and how to do it? Get some training or read some books like Oxygen Hackers Companion.

As Pesky said, there is no shortage of used in that size range. A new one will start at around $7000 and go way up from there.

As far as the compressor being a "Nitrox Compressor", you have to get that direct from the manufacturer. Coltri says yes to membrane produced Nitrox, while MaxAir (who sells Coltri under their own name) says NO to Nitrox in any form. Why?? ... I have no idea!

Bauer hedges a bit when you talk with some of their sales people, but most members here have had NO problem pumping Nitrox through them.

Best thing is to learn as much as you can about Nitrox generation and mixing and then make your decision on how you want to go. If you haven't gotten a copy yet, buy the "Oxygen Hackers Guide" and read through it. That is an excellent place to start your shopping.

Good hunting!

Nova Scotia is 60Hz just like the rest of the US and Canada.

A Nitrox Stik is what I'm using on my 5HP Bauer Capitano, and so far no problems. The Stik works pretty well, but you need to monitor them if you don't have an automatic system to monitor and shut off the O2. Membrane systems are a lot more money and usually require a second low pressure compressor to supply the membrane.

Mat.

Back
Top Bottom