Nitrox Compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. As a point of order, the term "Hertz" only applies to electromagnetic waves. I suppose that waveform electrical current is pretty close to that, heh.

Nova Scotia is 60Hz just like the rest of the US and Canada.

A Nitrox Stik is what I'm using on my 5HP Bauer Capitano, and so far no problems. The Stik works pretty well, but you need to monitor them if you don't have an automatic system to monitor and shut off the O2. Membrane systems are a lot more money and usually require a second low pressure compressor to supply the membrane.

Mat.

Not to split hairs lol, but here is the definition from Wikipedia:

"The hertz (symbol: Hz) is a measure of frequency, informally defined as the number of events occurring per second. It is the basic unit of frequency in the International System of Units (SI), and is used worldwide in both general-purpose and scientific contexts. Hertz can be used to measure any periodic event; the most common use for hertz is to describe frequency of rotation, in which case a speed of 1 Hz is equal to one cycle per second."

Hz is used for all measures of frequency including sound waves... So yes AC current is very applicable.

Mat.

The myth that Rixes, being oil-free, are the ideal "nitrox compressors" dies hard. Rix is, of all the compressor manufacturers, probably the most sincere in their opposition to running elevated FO2s through their compressors - they really do seem to mean it, rather than just playing CYA games like most of the others. And Rixes do use more plastic and rubber in the HP areas than any other compressor (as a direct result of being oil-less), which is probably the reason why. So I am hesitant to recommend Rixes to anyone for continuous mixing, even though I know a lot of owners use them that way. And always recommend that, if one insists on doing so, one does everything possible to insure that the machine is running properly cooled.

Urchinhunter, it occurred to me that an oiless compressor, RIX SA-6 could be in your future. MIL surplus from Navy SEALS seen frequently. Buy a few 4500 psi storage cylinders and plumbing also. Look at this and scale down a bit.

http://pontificatingnobody.com/Denton-FillStation/

you might want to check around for a good used compressor. As for a nitrox stick there are some really good plans on the internet that you can build for under $50. I have an eagle 18CFM Diesel compressor that I use, I fill 4 cascade bottles and fill about 50 tank a year(my own). I built the stick and the only thing that it doesn't have is an automatic shutoff. I monitor the O2 going in, and I also have a 2nd monitor running while the compressor is filling the tanks. I adjust the O2 while it's running, and normally keep my cascade bottles in the 39-41% range with no issue. You can look on EBAY for compressor, i have sold quite a few on there, but make sure you talk to the person or email them to make sure your buying something that's going to work and fill your needs. If you looking for a good Bauer used compressor, you can buy one in the $2500 range with a gas or Diesel engine.

I'm not surprised. The "Hertz" definition was conceived and approved by IEEE for electromagnetic waves only. I don't believe that has changed or would change. "Common usage" has come into play as reflected by the crap definition in Wikipedia. This kind of stuff still bothers me a little, I admit.

Not to split hairs lol, but here is the definition from Wikipedia:

"The hertz (symbol: Hz) is a measure of frequency, informally defined as the number of events occurring per second. It is the basic unit of frequency in the International System of Units (SI), and is used worldwide in both general-purpose and scientific contexts. Hertz can be used to measure any periodic event; the most common use for hertz is to describe frequency of rotation, in which case a speed of 1 Hz is equal to one cycle per second."

Hz is used for all measures of frequency including sound waves... So yes AC current is very applicable.

Mat.

I'm just worried that the guy is going to blow something up. If he gets a RIX, the worst would be a small fire and a big lesson. Sorry to be so blunt, NS.

The myth that Rixes, being oil-free, are the ideal "nitrox compressors" dies hard. Rix is, of all the compressor manufacturers, probably the most sincere in their opposition to running elevated FO2s through their compressors - they really do seem to mean it, rather than just playing CYA games like most of the others. And Rixes do use more plastic and rubber in the HP areas than any other compressor (as a direct result of being oil-less), which is probably the reason why. So I am hesitant to recommend Rixes to anyone for continuous mixing, even though I know a lot of owners use them that way. And always recommend that, if one insists on doing so, one does everything possible to insure that the machine is running properly cooled.

Blunt indeed. You brute.

However, I am more worried about the danger of breathing bad air, unbeknownst, than having a compressor explode. There just haven't been that many case of compressors exploding from O2, considering how many cont mixers are in use, and those that have occured, usually seem to involve serious human error. But anytime you see scorched, melted or erroded plastic inside a breathing air system - be it in the compressor, valve, tank or regulator - you got to suspect that something bad has probably gotten in the air, and the effects of breathing bad air, while less dramatic are probably more common and insidious than the effects of exploding compressors. Paradoxically, worse can more better than less worse, because seriously contaminated air will usually be noticed, while slightly contaminated air may not.

I'm just worried that the guy is going to blow something up. If he gets a RIX, the worst would be a small fire and a big lesson. Sorry to be so blunt, NS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom