Nitrox compatible tank modification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bnscherm

Registered
Reaction score
I just ordered two aluminum tanks straight from the mannufacturer, and would like to use these tanks with premix nitrox fills. Is there any reason why I couldn't put o2 compatible o-rings on the tank myself and slap on a nitrox sticker?

Bnscherm:
I just ordered two aluminum tanks straight from the mannufacturer, and would like to use these tanks with premix nitrox fills. Is there any reason why I couldn't put o2 compatible o-rings on the tank myself and slap on a nitrox sticker?

you should use christo-lube, too.

Bnscherm:

If you are using 40% and less there is no reason why you couldn't do it yourself.
Even over 40%, you should O2 clean your tanks and that pretty easy to do with Simple green.

Hyper-limits:
If you are using 40% and less there is no reason why you couldn't do it yourself.
Even over 40%, you should O2 clean your tanks and that pretty easy to do with Simple green.

I thought the stuff they used in the dive shops was "like" Simple Green, but was a cleaner, better version of it?

Bnscherm:

Luxfer is now delivering O2 ready cylinders (green sticker). The issue now becomes the valve. What are you doing about that?

mike_s:
I thought the stuff they used in the dive shops was "like" Simple Green, but was a cleaner, better version of it?

There is a lot of other cleaners use to O2 clean tanks around. I just mention Simple Green because that what I use. And is possible that your LDS use a better version of it, I know that at least 2 LDS in my area use the Crystal simple green(HD industrial version), Which is what I used myself.

I understand that Crystal Simple Green is preferred because it doesn’t leave a film/residue like plain Simple Green can.

If you have not been properly trained in cleaning equipment for oxygen service please have a pro do it. While it's a simple process to do once you know how it can be a big problem if you don't know how.

The rinsing and verification is the critical parts of this. Also Simple Green is not the one to use -- it must be Crystal Simple Green that does not have the colorant in it.

As for the valve. It will need to be service and cleaned with parts changed and lubricants changed. In most situations its just cheaper to buy a new valve that is nitrox / oxygen ready.

Cheers ......

With premix, as you stated, you don't need to do anything, assuming it's less that 40% premix.

It's partial pressure blending where things get interesting.

Roak

roakey:
With premix, as you stated, you don't need to do anything, assuming it's less that 40% premix.

It's partial pressure blending where things get interesting.

Roak

I do not plan on keeping this tank o2 clean so I'm not going to worry about any of the simple green cleaning especially since it is coming straight from the manufacturer. But I should put on some o2 compatible tank neck and valve rings even though I only plan to use it with premix? or are you saying not to even bother with that? or is even this to complicated for me to do, and I should pay a lds $30 a tank to have it done?

For now I just plan on using the standard k-valve that will be coming with the tank.

Back
Top Bottom