Nitrox bands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oly5050user:
we are a 5 star padi and andi facility..techs are trained to their standards..I really don't care if another facility refused to fill it-their problem..we use a bank of 50/50 for most fills and our air is hydrocarbon free..not too many other places can claim that..plain grade e air is not the best way to go,it still has hydrocarbons in it..

hey Emelio,
Haven't seen you in a long time.. I hope all is well...

Just to add to the general opinion here. I ran into the exact same problem with just ordinary old nitrox fills in a plain old aluminium tank. I did not have the sticker on the tank. Some places filled it and never even stopped long enough to see if the tank was off my BBQ grill. Others would spin it and find the Visual sticker and notice the O2 clean punch out and fill it. Others would say.. You really should have a Nitrox sitcker on this tank and then fill it. Others REFUSED to fill it unless I bought a sticker and put it on. I FINALLY stopped driving to the next closest shop in whatevercityusa and caved in and put the stupid sticker on the tank. Now I can see the little bumps and bubbles under that sticker and just know that is "digger" the demilitphite's twin brother under there digging away at my tank. Such is life....

Orlando Eric:
Just to add to the general opinion here. I ran into the exact same problem with just ordinary old nitrox fills in a plain old aluminium tank. I did not have the sticker on the tank. Some places filled it and never even stopped long enough to see if the tank was off my BBQ grill. Others would spin it and find the Visual sticker and notice the O2 clean punch out and fill it. Others would say.. You really should have a Nitrox sitcker on this tank and then fill it. Others REFUSED to fill it unless I bought a sticker and put it on. I FINALLY stopped driving to the next closest shop in whatevercityusa and caved in and put the stupid sticker on the tank. Now I can see the little bumps and bubbles under that sticker and just know that is "digger" the demilitphite's twin brother under there digging away at my tank. Such is life....

If the sticker was put on correctly and all the air bubbles forced out, you should not get water trapped under the sticker. sounds like the sticker was put on too quickly/hap-hazardly...

padiscubapro:
hey Emelio,
Haven't seen you in a long time.. I hope all is well...
all is good..had little free time ..now have a bit more..did some teaching last year/trips as tourguide etc..new yamaha 200hp hpdi on the privateer..going to cost rica in april with billy -30 people on trip,think we will be busy-.check out photos I posted on this site..

Reefraff & Oxyhacker, care if I use you images. I think both of those stickers would have a place. As for the tank bands, we generally require some way to identify the bottle, if not the gaudy tank wrap, then a contents slate, or a MOD marking. The contents slate is easily removed and re-attached. We simply place a 2 inch ring around the tank neck (also good for locking cylinders up) and attach the contents slate to it. If a tank wrap is desired, it's rolled on without any trapped air for obvious reasons. When a cylinder comes in for the annual vip, if the wrap doesn't have any bubbles in it and is smooth in texture (covered dings) there is no reason pull the wrap, however if bubbles are pressent or the texture is rough as in hiding a ding, the customer has the choice of removing the wrap and gettting a new one for a minimal cost in addition to the vip. My opinion (we all have em') is that its better for an individual to have the inspection of the bubbles and or dings and a new wrap without much pain to their wallet then the pain associated with the degradation of a cylinder hooked to our fill whips by not inspecting them. With the MOD bottles, generally these bottles don't fall into the mistakenly grabbed pile of tanks, could be the area we are in but universally I think these are being used by folks who have a bit more control on their equipment and the accessibility of it.
If a cylinder is going to contain different mixes and interact within different levels of divers then there needs to be a way to identify the bottle may not be plain air.

Sorry, but we have copyrighted the design and Voodoo Gas - Dark Lord text, and are in the process of having a batch of of the stickers printed up.

SeaLevelScuba:
Reefraff & Oxyhacker, care if I use you images. I think both of those stickers would have a place.

oly5050user:
who said he stole it?? maybe grab wrong one on boat/took a rental that was improperly marked??
Again, if it has my NAME on the tank then he took the wrong one, I'd consider that stolen. And I guarantee you if its my tank it'll have EAN32. Probably another reason for going with DIN I guess, the average Joe's reg wouldn't be as likely to work.

As to the rental tanks, I agree (and I think I even said as much) that I have no problem with nitrox rental tanks having bands on them, but in that case the air rental tanks should probably also be properly marked, maybe Oxyhacker could make up a batch of, oh I don't know, big white and blue stickers that say "Tire Fills". :wink:

Remember, "Friends don't let friends dive air" (c) StSomewhere

I will not patronize a shop that requires nitrox bands. They serve no useful purpose, tell NOTHING about what is in the tank, and can exacerbate tank corrosion. They also have to be removed for vis inspection anyway...

PerroneFord:
I will not patronize a shop that requires nitrox bands. They serve no useful purpose, tell NOTHING about what is in the tank, and can exacerbate tank corrosion. They also have to be removed for vis inspection anyway...

My goodness man what do you mean that it doesn't tell you naything of value?!! It tells you that there may be a hyperoxic mix in the tank...or that there might not be but maybe. It definately says that there's a VERY good chance that there's is some gas in the tank that's breathable at some depth so you know that it PROBABLY isn't argon or something. And lastly but not leastly it tells the whole world that, in fact and without a shadow of a doubt without the need for further analysis that you paid $10 or so for a sticker that says that there's a pretty good chance that you have (or had)some sort of gas which is (or was) breathable at some depth in that tank.

Now why aren't those who require these things feeling really stupid?

oly5050user:
we are a 5 star padi and andi facility..techs are trained to their standards..I really don't care if another facility refused to fill it-their problem..we use a bank of 50/50 for most fills and our air is hydrocarbon free..not too many other places can claim that..plain grade e air is not the best way to go,it still has hydrocarbons in it..

Hydrocarbon free? How do you know that? There isn't a lab in the world that can accurately measure the number ZERO. The best you get on the data sheets is "less than X".

Grade "E" describes what standards the air was tested to. When I had a shop I only paid to have my air tested to grade "E" and that's what the cert said although the actual hydrocarbon content met modified grade E standards and then some. In other words, for a few extra bucks I would have had certifed modified grade E air. LOL but assuming your air really is hydrocarbon free, there still isn't any way to insure that there isn't some amount of fuel in the system somplace unless you're doing everything in a cleanroom.

Back
Top Bottom