Nitrox and Excercise - How Long to Wait?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howarde:
In the nitrox course, as I recall, they said to avoid excercise, so that is why I asked in the first place.

Just to clarify the issue a bit, I'm guessing they were actually referring to exercise at depth, where it would increase your susceptibility to CNS ox tox. This is an entirely different animal than exercising before or after your dive on the surface breathing air, and it is certainly something that would be covered in a nitrox class.

There is certainly no reason to *lengthen* the time between exercise and diving on either end because you plan to or were diving nitrox.

Cameron

CameronMartz:
Just to clarify the issue a bit, I'm guessing they were actually referring to exercise at depth, where it would increase your susceptibility to CNS ox tox. This is an entirely different animal than exercising before or after your dive on the surface breathing air, and it is certainly something that would be covered in a nitrox class.

There is certainly no reason to *lengthen* the time between exercise and diving on either end because you plan to or were diving nitrox.

Cameron

I understand the ramifications of exertion WHILE diving with Nitrox and how it can increase risk of ox Tox... I also clearly remember this being covered in the PADI book. Now, I don’t have the PADI book anymore, but I thought it said to AVOID EXERCISE altogether, especially when using Nitrox.

howarde:
I understand the ramifications of exertion WHILE diving with Nitrox and how it can increase risk of ox Tox... I also clearly remember this being covered in the PADI book. Now, I don’t have the PADI book anymore, but I thought it said to AVOID EXERCISE altogether, especially when using Nitrox.

I'm guessing it probably didn't say that, but if you or anyone else can find it, I'd love to read such a claim. There is nothing about Nitrox that would make exercise before or after your dive *more* dangerous than doing the same thing on a day you're diving air.

Any relative danger from dive-day exercise on the surface comes from bubble nucleation/growth, and this is a product of inert gasses (nitrogen, in this case). As Dr. Powell notes, you absorb less nitrogen at depth breathing Nitrox than air, which theoretically means that there should be *less* of a risk of bubbling, but the degree of this effect has not specifically been evaluated.

Cameron

CameronMartz:
I'm guessing it probably didn't say that, but if you or anyone else can find it, I'd love to read such a claim. There is nothing about Nitrox that would make exercise before or after your dive *more* dangerous than doing the same thing on a day you're diving air.

Any relative danger from dive-day exercise on the surface comes from bubble nucleation/growth, and this is a product of inert gasses (nitrogen, in this case). As Dr. Powell notes, you absorb less nitrogen at depth breathing Nitrox than air, which theoretically means that there should be *less* of a risk of bubbling, but the degree of this effect has not specifically been evaluated.

Cameron

If anyone has the PADI Nitrox book - Could you look this up? I'm pretty sure I remember seeing this.

howarde:
If anyone has the PADI Nitrox book - Could you look this up? I'm pretty sure I remember seeing this.
Sorry, I don't. You can call them at 1-800-Pay-Padi :wink:

I did watch the Nitrox CDs with a friend a year ago, noticed a major mistake, called them about it. An Inst there called me back after he'd reviewed it to admit to it. Wonder if they fixed it...?

I certainly don't need to buy it... It's odd that I can't remember... My memory is good, it's just short.

howarde:
I certainly don't need to buy it... It's odd that I can't remember... My memory is good, it's just short.
No, that's the phone number to their HQ.

Back
Top Bottom