Nitrox and Excercise - How Long to Wait?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HowardE

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Not to start a HUGE debate, just looking for serious answers here. (I know this is hard to believe coming from me) -- I've searched SB and can't really find the answer...

I know that you shouldn't excercise after diving, because of increased risk of DCS. But my question is 2 fold. I try to work out every other day, and diving usually throws off my schedule so...

1) How long is should someone wait before doing aerobic excercise after diving (Nitrox specifically, since I use nitrox mostly)?

2) Is weight training (moderate, not HEAVY lifting - like a few easy sets) equally as bad for you (DCS wise) as aerobic activity?

If this HAS already been addressed here, a point in the right direction, would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

So to narrow the field a little bit... I looked at DAN's website, and read about excercise and DCS... While it was informative, I guess the question now is...

Do you need to wait until you are fully desaturated before excercise?

Maybe I should have asked Dr. Deco? Since he was mentioned in the DAN study

Thanks Mark... It still seems a little vague. This report says to wait six hours, so I guess total desat isn't required? For example... I've been out of the water for 6 hours now, and my computer says I won't desat for another 10 hours, so according to the undercurrent article, I should be ok to go workout now (not that I'm going to... I think watching a movie is more in order for this evening) but in the DAN study, it talked about the Nitrogen Bubbles being like a bottle of soda. Whereas excercise would shake up the soda bottle, thus increasing the risk for DCS. Which sounds to me like you should be completely desaturated.

aabond:
Btw, How was you dive today?

It was good - See Conch Forum - and look at the Conch trips too.

howarde:
Thanks Mark... It still seems a little vague. This report says to wait six hours, so I guess total desat isn't required? For example... I've been out of the water for 6 hours now, and my computer says I won't desat for another 10 hours, so according to the undercurrent article, I should be ok to go workout now (not that I'm going to... I think watching a movie is more in order for this evening) but in the DAN study, it talked about the Nitrogen Bubbles being like a bottle of soda. Whereas excercise would shake up the soda bottle, thus increasing the risk for DCS. Which sounds to me like you should be completely desaturated.

Howard,

To answer one of your earlier questions, heavy lifting would be worse than moderate aerobic activity post-dive because it has greater potential to generate cavitation (bubble formation) without the benefit of increased peripheral and pulmonary perfusion (that eliminate both dissolved gas and bubbles) that you'd get from aerobic activity. In fact, aerobic exercise post-dive has been shown in two studies to increase bubble elimination, though earlier studies have found that it increases risk of DCS. Hard to tell who's right on this.

In truth, we don't need to fully desaturate to exercise- we only need to offgas enough that the bubbles we create don't overload our abilities to eliminate them fairly quickly. The question then becomes, when do we reach this point? The short answer is, who knows?

Decompression (or desaturation, as you put it) is an extremely variable process. Do the same dive profile on two different days, and you body will end up with two different amounts of nitrogen absorbed at depth. The difference can be quite substantial, depending on activity level on the dive, how cold you are as you ascend, etc.

When you surface, you will also eliminate that gas load at different rates depending on your activity level, body temperature, hydration level, etc. So, again, 6 hours after the same profile on two different days may find you with two wildly different levels of gas still in your tissues. So, dive tables and computers like yours have a built-in safety margin since they can't really determine what your true gas loading is and how well you are eliminating it once you surface.

Coming back to your original question- do you really need to wait 10 hours to exercise after diving? DAN's recommendation of 6 hours seems to be working for divers who come out of the water otherwise feeling fine after normal, recreational profiles.

That said, it is much more preferable to exercise *before* diving, whenever possible. As long as you prevent dehydration and excess fatigue, exercising before a dive is much less risky and might even be beneficial, though researchers still have much work to do here.

Cameron

Good thread, and good post Cameron. I don't think we can emphasize this too much for new readers, as the agencies don't cover it well..
That said, it is much more preferable to exercise *before* diving, whenever possible. As long as you prevent dehydration and excess fatigue, exercising before a dive is much less risky and might even be beneficial, though researchers still have much work to do here.

That link I posted indicated a two hour minimum, and preferably four hours, before diving when you have exercised -- problems with exercise on both ends it appears.
"Markedly increased temperature, blood flow, and oxygen use within tissues immediately before a dive could result in an undesirably rapid uptake of nitrogen upon descent."

(That's why I didn't go running in Utila -- the mornings were nice, but not enough time before diving. I prefer to be conservative rather than a test case.)

Back
Top Bottom