Nitrox analyzers - Top pick?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the Palm.

I like the idea of being able to also analyze for CO using the Cootwo, but the integration with a smartphone turns me off. I like the standalone simplicity and compact size of the Palm and similar analyzers.

I also had them show me last year how to replace the sensor when it eventually goes bad and it was quite easy to do yourself.

If anyone is interested, PM me your name and email address and when I go to the show I can let you know how much they are. I'd be glad to pick one up for folks and mail it you assuming I have the room to carry some back. I should.

I use the Palm.

I like the idea of being able to also analyze for CO using the Cootwo, but the integration with a smartphone turns me off. I like the standalone simplicity and compact size of the Palm and similar analyzers.

cootwo can do most things standalone for reference, with analyzing and calibrating being the important bit

I replaced an Analox O2E2 (and analox CO) with a cootwo. I sold the analox after analyzing about 15 tanks with both analyzers to give me a warm fuzzy about the accuracy on cootwo. Cootwo works well, I only have one gripe - they force you to replace the sensor regularly. With most testers you can wait until the sensor starts to have a problem - it's fairly obvious, then you replace it. That means if you take good care of your gear you might get more time on a sensor. Cootwo has a clock, and they force you to replace sensors every 2 years (I think they updated to two, mine forced me at 1 year).

As tbone said, you can use cootwo standalone. I prefer it that way, it's a mild hassle to connect it to a phone. I've used it with both android and ios successfully though.

The great thing about cootwo is that it analyzes co by default when you're checking your oxygen level. It's no extra trouble so I end up checking for CO on every tank. When I had a separate CO analyzer I would sometimes skip CO testing. Therefore, the cootwo improves my safety.

Oh, and I did find CO in a tank with my cootwo once. It does happen.

cootwo can do most things standalone for reference, with analyzing and calibrating being the important bit

Yeah, I have read that, and it's encouraging. It's just my own weirdness about smartphones. As soon as I read the early descriptions of the Cootwo as being integrated with a smartphone app I tuned out. My smartphone is ancient, the battery holds charge poorly, and I don't want to rely on it for anything at all, much less ensure I have it with me, charged, etc., when I'm out diving.

Yeah, I have read that, and it's encouraging. It's just my own weirdness about smartphones. As soon as I read the early descriptions of the Cootwo as being integrated with a smartphone app I tuned out. My smartphone is ancient, the battery holds charge poorly, and I don't want to rely on it for anything at all, much less ensure I have it with me, charged, etc., when I'm out diving.

what I do with mine is calibrate it with my phone and have it set for 48 hour calibration. Up until that calibration expires, I just use it as standalone.

I sold the analox after analyzing about 15 tanks with both analyzers to give me a warm fuzzy about the accuracy on cootwo.
Frankly, it's all about the cell and nothing about the anaylyzer. An O2 analyzer is pretty darned simple tech. The cell gives a voltage out, and the analyzer just translates that voltage to an FO2. Unless someone messed up properly, the translation is pretty darned simple and hard to mess up.

So, accuracy isn't a factor when deciding on an analyzer.

Frankly, it's all about the cell and nothing about the anaylyzer. An O2 analyzer is pretty darned simple tech. The cell gives a voltage out, and the analyzer just translates that voltage to an FO2. Unless someone messed up properly, the translation is pretty darned simple and hard to mess up.

So, accuracy isn't a factor when deciding on an analyzer.

the cootwo shows mV on the app btw, unsure of any othe ranalyzer that does that

Palm O2 will be $150 at DEMA. They just answered my email.

...... It's just my own weirdness about smartphones. As soon as I read the early descriptions of the Cootwo as being integrated with a smartphone app I tuned out. ....
With the new FW version you can use cootwo stand-alone.
You will only need the smartphone if you want to log analysis (some dive stores do that as they use cootwo and our app as their fill station logbook)

Back
Top Bottom