Nitrox analyzer?

Do you carry a personal nitrox analyzer and personally verify the O2 percentage before diving?

• Always

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • No, I trust what I'm given from the dive op

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Only if something seems sketchy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As long as I can see the shop's results on a analyzer I'm good

Votes: 26 38.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm taking my nitrox class next Wednesday. I was reading over the book in the class kit. It says that you should have your own analyzer and check the mix to verify the O2 percentage. How many of you rec divers actually check the mix yourself before you dive?
Excellent question. The number one rule of diving nitrox is always analyze. However, I would bet if you were able to look down at all the rec. nitrox divers today an amazing number did not analyze.

Why?

* Their brains are on vacation
* They are diving with a small boat that has their nitrox cylinders delivered and the boat does not have an analyzer on board. ( I just had one of our divers come in very frustrated about being in this situation, so he now has is own analyzer. )
* They are on a live-aboard and the crew is taking care of it or they see the analyzer the membrane is using and go by it.

Personally, I always analyze.

Excellent question. The number one rule of diving nitrox is always analyze. However, I would bet if you were able to look down at all the rec. nitrox divers today an amazing number did not analyze.

Why?

* Their brains are on vacation
* They are diving with a small boat that has their nitrox cylinders delivered and the boat does not have an analyzer on board. ( I just had one of our divers come in very frustrated about being in this situation, so he now has is own analyzer. )
* They are on a live-aboard and the crew is taking care of it or they see the analyzer the membrane is using and go by it.

Personally, I always analyze.
Is that true that you see many people not analysing ?

I use the shop analyser but I don’t think I would use a Nitrox tank without analysing it.

Is that true that you see many people not analysing ?

I use the shop analyser but I don’t think I would use a Nitrox tank without analysing it.
No, I never see my students/divers not analyze. But, they are perfect:)!

That's really a 2 part question that's hard to answer by poll.

1) No, I don't have my own personal analyzer. I use the analyzer that the shop/boat has.
2) Always analyze myself. Or I have to watch the analysis all the way through including calibration of the analyzer.

On Bonaire and both liveaboards I have been on, T&C Explorer and Belize Aggressor IV, it was required to analyze your own tank and complete a log entry with % analyzed and sign. They would check the log before each dive and you were not entering the water if it was not completed.

The book may suggest you should get your own analyzer but few people actually do, they use the ops. I (or my buddy) basically always analyze tanks though, as I think most people do. After you've been doing it awhile, you will likely have run into a few instances of tanks out in left field that remind you why you're doing it.

air: very rare, usually to check CO when i dive with a new dive shop for the first time.
nitrox: always, either with my own analyzer or provided by the dive shop.

I have been kjnown not to analyze when after repeated fills and havng good mix, i have watched oame or all the fill or have had a fill bfrom banked fills where 30 or more tanks have been group filled. you see others check theirs and it is good so yours has to be. never do i not check on a single tank fill or a custom fill.

If I were traveling and using nitrox I'd probably own a analyzer but since I don't use nitrox or travel to distant dive locations and my tanks are filled at the same LDS I don't.
I make sure the tank is on the 21% whip and I'm good. My biggest concern is getting a full tank not something a few 100 psi less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom