Nitrox analyzer?

Do you carry a personal nitrox analyzer and personally verify the O2 percentage before diving?

• Always

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • No, I trust what I'm given from the dive op

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Only if something seems sketchy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As long as I can see the shop's results on a analyzer I'm good

Votes: 26 38.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSquatch

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm taking my nitrox class next Wednesday. I was reading over the book in the class kit. It says that you should have your own analyzer and check the mix to verify the O2 percentage. How many of you rec divers actually check the mix yourself before you dive?

I blend my own nitrox at home so yes I check every tank.
I usually check after they are full mark it and call it good. I don’t check the day of.

I fill 1 @ a time and check it before I fill another so I cant really miss mark a cylinder.
And 99% of the time I mix them to the same % anyways and have the valves set so it’s basically turn on turn off for a consistent mix.

I analyze every bottle of gas that I use. With that said, I don't yet own an analyzer. Every shop I use for fills either analyzes them in front of me or hands me their analyzer so that I can do it myself. I was a Reagan-era cold war kid: trust but verify.

Every time, if you have any sense at all. The only exception I've ever seen was on a liveaboard where the analyzer was plumbed into the fill system.

How many of you rec divers actually check the mix yourself before you dive?

100% of the time. I always check my Nitrox mix.

I'm taking my nitrox class next Wednesday. I was reading over the book in the class kit. It says that you should have your own analyzer and check the mix to verify the O2 percentage. How many of you rec divers actually check the mix yourself before you dive?

ZH...

I have my own analyzer...an AI ''Palm''...a part of my kit...''won't leave home without it''...

Check all fills all the time...in the shop...during NITROX rebreather assembly...

Always record my findings as well...always in the shop log...always in the rebreather ''checklist'' book...

One of the least expensive...most effective things you can do to ''mitigate risk'' and stay safe...

Best...

Warren

To get my tank from the shop, I must analyze it and log it in the book. I also label the tank at that time.

An analyzer is on my wish list but until then I have to trust the analyzer of the shop filling my tanks. But every tank i get is analyzed

I will not dive with a bottle that I have not analyzed personally, or witnessed being analyzed. You will be instructed to do just this in your course, and should not deviate from the practice. It takes less than a minute and is essential to your well being.

Every shop that I frequent to have my cylinders filled has an analyzer on site, and I’m happy to use it. I’ve got a rather hefty trimix analyzer at home that I will travel with as the situation warrants, and always travel with a small O2 analyzer.

I bring my O2 analyzer on my long distance travels. If I’m on a live-aboard, for the first fill I’ll use the boat’s analyzer and then confirm the reading with my own. If they are in agreement, then I’ll continue to use the boat’s unless there’s a rush on the unit. In that case I’ll just use my own, and have a similar approach at land based operations.

I did not cast a vote in your poll, because the wording in imprecise.

I could not answer “ALWAYS” because I do not always bring my own to local shops.*
I NEVER trust what I’m given without positive verification.
I do not patronize SKETCHY local operations. While traveling and using an unknown operation, I’ll have my own analyzer for O2, (or trimix should the need arise), but if a place seems “sketchy” to me, I’d most likely be concerned with the possibility of other contaminants.

* I own a lot of tanks. Sometimes the mix label will fall off of one or more of them. I don’t simply pick a label off of the floor and assume that it came from the tank in question. I’ll take a minute and analyze the cylinder, then relabel it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom