Nitrox analyzer?

Do you carry a personal nitrox analyzer and personally verify the O2 percentage before diving?

• Always

Votes: 39 57.4%
  • No, I trust what I'm given from the dive op

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Only if something seems sketchy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As long as I can see the shop's results on a analyzer I'm good

Votes: 26 38.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did not do the poll as my answer was not there..maybe update the poll to add "No, but i analyze with the shop providing the fill." or something along that line. The no but trust to me implies grab and go with the tank, which is a huge no

Each tank of Nitrox gets analyzed multiple times by me.
I analyze at the shop using the shop's analyzer whenever I pick up my tanks after a EAN fill, or after a tank previously filled with EAN is topped up with air/EAN21.
I then reanalyze at home with my own analyzer.
If the tanks have been sitting a while before I actually use them, I will double check the mix again while I am packing gear so if there is any issue, I have time to deal with it before I leave.
And finally, if I am taking them on a boat dive where my tanks may be stored with others, I check them again as I am setting up my gear for any dive.

I analyze every tank but I use the shop's (or resort's as is usually my case) analyzer

There are two separate questions in this sentence, so I did not know how to answer the poll: "Do you carry a personal nitrox analyzer and personally verify the O2 percentage before diving?"

1. I do not carry a personal nitrox analyzer when I am using tanks I got from a dive shop or dive operator that day.

2. I do personally verify the O2 percentage before diving, using the analyzer provided by the dive shop or dive operator. Every dive shop and dive operator I have ever used has had an analyzer intended for use by customers.

I would never take a nitrox tank without having it analyzed in front of me. Ever.

I dont own my own yet, but I will gladly use a shops to check, and label my tanks with name and mix.

ALWAYS personally analyze any gas I breath with my own analyzer. O2, He, and check CO as well.

I always do. a bad mix in the wrong direction could be fatal. I went to coz and ordered a tank of 32 what i got was < 28. their tester said 32.x I got ome and mine was working correctly. If at all possible never check your tank with the same checker the shop uses. if the shop has more than one test twice, once with each. If both are equally bad you still will not know. statistically that will not happen though. you will never know what defunct equipment you will find over seas. If you are good at or know someone that is get a el cheapo kit by oxycheq. you get the same electronics at half the cost. and it lasts for years. mine is going on 13 now.

make sure you get the 10 turn pot option / assessory...

OxyCheq - EL Cheapo II Analyzer Kit

Analyze at the shop when I pick it up, re-check it at home and ALWAYS analyze my tanks as I am hooking up the reg at the dive site/pre-dive.

Why so many times? at the shop is merely a check that it is not way off. I have seen really good shops have analyzers that are off as much as 5%. When I get home I give them a double check. But then, some of my tanks may sit for a while, so I never trust my old sticker.

And when shopping analyzers, dont just look at the price of the analyzer, but the price of the replacement O2 sensors.

I'm taking my nitrox class next Wednesday. I was reading over the book in the class kit. It says that you should have your own analyzer
Which class/book says this?

Probably mis-read. You should do your own analyzing.
The shop will love to sell an analyzer to every student. Was this a "book" written by the store selling the class?

I ran the first couple of years of Nitrox using the shops analyzer. Never heard of one being a required purchase item.
Been on boats where the boat has one and you pass it around as a last check before hooking up the regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom