Nitrox Analyzer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know you can change out the O2 sensor in the Nitrox Buddy easily enough, but how does one get the calibration gas to do the CO calibration? How does that work?

I will always cap mine as I am keeping dirt, debris, water etc out.
Excellent reason to do so. I just keep it inside a waterproof box.

I know you can change out the O2 sensor in the Nitrox Buddy easily enough, but how does one get the calibration gas to do the CO calibration? How does that work?

Have a look through this thread Cootwo Australia

If you are in the US there are a number of suppliers. I am in Australia and am using a US supplier SCI Analytical Calibration, Medical and Specialty Gas Supplier in Florida. You will want 20ppm CO in air (you can also use 15 or 10). If you use the flow restrictor provided with the Cootwo this will give a flowrate of about 2l/min which should be okay, calibration takes 60 seconds of base gas (no CO) and 60 seconds of Cal Gas (20ppm).

I purchased a 34l cylinder along with a appropriate (cheap) regulator.

Thanks for the info. Which regulator are you using? The flow restrictor that comes with the Cootwo connects to a LP inflater hose with a quick disconnect, doesn't it? Does the reg you are using have this kind of connection? Sorry to be stupid, but I'm not visualizing this operation. I wonder what it costs to just send the unit back to the company for calibration.

My items are in transit. I have ordered this regulator, its the low cost one :) CV-2 Control Valve - SCI Analytical

I intend to connect a LP hose with quick release fitting to the regulator, either by removing the barb or cutting the hose and using the barb. Or some other method to be determined when I have the parts :)

Thanks again. I see that one has to be inventive to do this calibration himself:) There seems to be a lack of customer support for this device:(

Divnav will calibrate for you, and in the US its an okay price. For me the postage just gets expensive. I can't find anyone to calibrate in Australia given the low ppm concentration (which is probably best to use given we only check for low levels) and the lack of a documented process (the service agent can't file a video as evidence).

Now if Divnav could arrange a group of service agents in other counties that would be great. But from a liability perspective I will not calibrate anyone else's device.

I recently got my certification for enriched air diving and my instructor told me that I should get my own analyzer, which I completely understand why I would want my own. Does anyone know of a cheaper, reliable brand or has your experience been fine with using one provided by the shop? I usually just dive on vacations, maybe around 10-15 dives per year so I am not trying to spend $200 on one but obviously will, considering my life can depend on the O2 percentage.

The posts above provide you with a lot of information on options for analyzers. However, if you are a vacation diver, doing only 10-15 dives a year, you may find that you are not really going to be using Nitrox that often, especially if you are only doing a two tank dive several days in a row. I got the EANX cert back in 2010 in preparation for a week long trip to Bonaire, but frankly since that trip, I have been able to use air for most of my dives. But when I dive Nitrox, I use the dive op's Nitrox analyzer. That being said, I highly recommend that you at least get a CO analyzer if you do not already have one because you should use that on every tank, every dive. However, you might find the cost of something like the CooTwo dual analyzer discussed by other posters would cover you for all options for a little more money than a straight CO or Nitrox analyzer--more bang for the buck (or 350 bucks).

we use analox. Saw now a dive computer with O2 analyzer, brand is Ratio. Looks great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom