Nitrox analyzer do I need one and what kind?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ben Prusinski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am planning to dive in the Caymans in August and local dive trip planned said only a limited number of nitrox analyzers will be available on the boat and resort. Should I invest the $300 for a nitrox analyzer if I plan to dive a lot overseas? If so, what brand do you recommend based on your experience for dive travel?

Most any place that dispenses Nitrox have an analyzer. It only take s a few moments to analyze a cylinder. You may have to wait a few moments for someone else to analyze their cylinder. I know boats that have only 1 analyzer, was never an issue. If you are going to dive Nitrox often, say maybe 15 dives/ trip over 4- 5 trips a year, you might consider one. You can get an Analox Oxygen analyzer for about $270. I have my own analyzer, but I dive a lot of Nitrox (locally & during travel) over a year's time. Another thing to keep in mind, is the oxygen sensors WILL wear out in time & must be replaced. The sensors typically run about $100 or so.

For Cayman (or any Caribbean) and local diving I would not worry about having your own analyzer. Anyplace you get Nitrox will have an analyzer you can use, it only takes a few moments so many folks can share 1-2 analyzers just fine. Given the cost to replace the sensor periodically on top of buying the analyzer to begin with, having your own will be rather expensive per tank if you don't dive an awful lot.

I travel a fair bit and there have only been 2 times I sort of wished I had my own, both places in the Pacific, but we managed. One was on a liveaboard where their O2 sensors were going and the replacements were apparently coming on the slow boat. Another was at a resort where the dive op didn't get it, wanted us to trust them and not analyze our own tanks, which was neatly solved by a mutiny of sorts. :) That was like 7 years ago and I'm guessing less likely to happen now.

Like has already been mentioned, if they already have a limited number of Nitrox analyzers, you probably don't need to worry.

If you're going to spend $300 on an analyzer, I'd get a Carbon Monoxide analyzer, just to be safe. The risk of getting a fill with excess CO is very very low, but the danger is very high if it happens. I have the Analox CO Analyzer.

If you own your tanks and dive frequently, I think it's a good idea to have your own analyzer. I have a few tanks and recently one lost the marking tape with the mix on it. You can buy the El Cheapo from OxyCheq for +/- $100.00 if you're handy enough to assemble it.

I bought one, and am happy that I did. Usually the shop has one, and I use theirs rather than bother to take mine out. However the few times that I did use mine, I was happy that I had it. The situations range from the one at the shop was unavailable, or acting a little weird, or I forgot to do it at the shop when I recieved the tank, and it was alot easier to do it at the location that I realized that. I have seen alot of people not bother to analyze what they are breathing. I won't do that.

When getting gas from a dive shop I generally use the shops. Otherwise I use one of my own. I agree with the El Cheapo. Likewise a CO meter is probably a better investment. I have a Nuvair unit, and have been happy with their customer service. The replacement sensors can be found for around $65.

An nitrox analyzer was one of the first purchases I made when I started diving on a regular basis... I had an experience where I was on a boat where the captain retrieved the tanks from the shop every morning. The boat HAD an analyzer but it suddenly stopped working. In this particular case, the captain (who I trusted) had analyzed and marked the tanks at the shop that morning - and I knew that all the shops in the area banked 30% - so I went ahead and dove the gas without personally analyzing... but I also bought an analyzer before my next dive. I won't be in that situation again, lesson learned.

living here on the coast in Florida I dive a lot....all on nitrox. i use the dive shop's analyzer when i pick up my tanks to check the mix (and i check the pressue as well). If a shop does not have an analyzer and pressure gauge i would not use 'em. The sign of a good operator is having that kind of stuff/service.
analyzers are expensive and require replacement of the O2 cell...as said earlier it's $100 or so.
internationally, it's a different issue but in the US and Caribbean, i've never had a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom