Nitrogen Narcosis - from breathing air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank u for your answers thus far! I'm still digesting all the responses....before I post more of my train of thought...just a note though that the kind of food we eat influences considerably the amount of resources our body needs to direct toward digestion (Notice that we get sleepy - when eating too much carbs/meat, etc...)...resources that could be applied to other body needs (Healing for example). As we use oxygen to burn food...so more digestion energy required -- higher breathing requirement (heavy breathing?) --> more nitrogen (and oxygen) over time?

Many fruits for example have a high water content (up to 90%) so quicker to digest and pass through our system.

Some interesting docs of relevance to above are:

The Beautiful Truth - talks about changing inputs (food) to get rid of / heal cancer or other chronic diseases-- even in late stages
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvzDHGLEUyw

Forks over Knives - a 2011 doc that has garnered considerable interest. Talks about reversing diabetes, heart disease, etc...by eliminating animal products.

Perhaps I will do some research on narcotic effects of oxygen...that is interesting!

One of the reasons I posted this is that I have done some -- water only fasting -- (Record is 65 hours so far, going for much longer in April). I have noticed differences in awareness of my spatial surroundings and perception and am curious how much of that change could be attributed to less breathing, and thus less nitrogen (and oxygen now) absorption over time.

This might also explain those in a higher meditative state having a different perception also (Studies have already shown brain function differences via MRI, etc..) - skilled practitioners are able to slow their breathing rate down considerably.

No, it isn't covered in basic OW.

In a thread a few years ago a very famous diver made some very disparaging remarks about people who did not believe that rate of breathing affects nitrogen absorption, and he said these people should go back to their basic OW class for instruction on this. So the two of you have exact opposite views on this, and you both believe that your viewpoint is covered in basic OW instruction.

In another thread recently a scuba instructor said that rate of breathing and stress impact nitrogen absorption, and he offered as proof the fact that a Uwatec computer has a heart rate monitor so that it can adjust the decompression schedule based on differences in heart rate. So both he (an instructor) and (apparently) Uwatec think that stress does have an impact on nitrogen absorption.

Now, I happen to agree with you that it doesn't, but this fact is certainly not obvious, and a lot of highly experienced and highly trained divers are of a different opinion.

BoulderJohn,

I seem to remember the purpose of monitoring heart beat is that the increased heart rate increases . . . . crap, what's the word? Caviitation? The churning action that causes "seeds" in the blood stream to begin to form bubbles? When the blood passes through various restrictions and such. Physical activity increases the odds of DCS . . . but has nothing to do with narcosis, AFAIR.

Perhaps I will do some research on narcotic effects of oxygen...that is interesting!

One of the reasons I posted this is that I have done some -- water only fasting -- (Record is 65 hours so far, going for much longer in April). I have noticed differences in awareness of my spatial surroundings and perception and am curious how much of that change could be attributed to less breathing, and thus less nitrogen (and oxygen now) absorption over time.

This might also explain those in a higher meditative state having a different perception also (Studies have already shown brain function differences via MRI, etc..) - skilled practitioners are able to slow their breathing rate down considerably.

Hey, Circus, search for Mark Powell's Deco for Divers book. Read it, then study it. It's fascinating.

Hey, Circus, search for Mark Powell's Deco for Divers book. Read it, then study it. It's fascinating.

That sounds right up my alley Jax. I'll try to get it from my library by interlibrary loan...looks pretty spendy, especially considering I have a mountain of books to tackle in a short amount of time when I'm back in the USA soon.

On an unrelated note -- Do you really have 29,716 posts since Sept 2009 and yet only 100-199 dives too?

Sumptin' like that!

I remeber George Irvine claiming that everyone should try reading the newspaper while breathin trimix in their living room. He claimed you could read faster/better.. if i can recall a post he made probably 12 -15 years ago? I never knew if he was serious, but it seemed like a cool concept.

If nitrogen and oxygen had narcotic effects at atmospheric pressure, then wouldn't high altitude exposure result in decrease in theses effect?

I remeber George Irvine claiming that everyone should try reading the newspaper while breathin trimix in their living room. He claimed you could read faster/better.. if i can recall a post he made probably 12 -15 years ago? I never knew if he was serious, but it seemed like a cool concept.

If nitrogen and oxygen had narcotic effects at atmospheric pressure, then wouldn't high altitude exposure result in decrease in theses effect?
Yes, but no?
Due to the altitude sickness you incurr (if you get high enough anyways)?

BoulderJohn,

I seem to remember the purpose of monitoring heart beat is that the increased heart rate increases . . . . crap, what's the word? Caviitation? The churning action that causes "seeds" in the blood stream to begin to form bubbles? When the blood passes through various restrictions and such. Physical activity increases the odds of DCS . . . but has nothing to do with narcosis, AFAIR.
I know they think it relates to DCS and not narcosis, but I have no idea why they think it does.

Another factor to consider is the interaction of whatever breathing gas we are using with all the chemicals we ingest...from plastic related chemicals leaching out into plastic water bottles (BpA, etc..), and a host of other chemicals in both processed and unprocessed food -- that when it comes down to it -- we know very little about (In a complex cocktail form -- when it is in our body)...but we eat them anyway! For some "we know" how harmful they (particular chemicals) are -- but...ignorance is bliss...until it bites one in the ass.. I reckon.

This CBC (Canada) documentary pretty much sums it up. The Disappearing Male

[video=vimeo;15346778]http://vimeo.com/15346778[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom