Nitrogen narcosis and alcohol use.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I doubt drinking is good to prevent narking out. How about the extra dehydration, which in turn makes you more likely to narc out??? In my opinion don't drink and dive...

I doubt drinking is good to prevent narking out. How about the extra dehydration, which in turn makes you more likely to narc out??? In my opinion don't drink and dive...

Nobody is talking about drinking before diving... Somebody who normally knocks a few back at night should have no problem, with proper preparation, being properly hydrated when it comes time to dive.

Also if we are going to discuss hydration vs. narcosis, this thread needs to be split before it gets out of hand.

Whether alcohol consumption has any effect on narcosis, I have no idea. I have however, heard this theory before (from my tech instructor). I have personally only had one BAD case of narcosis and it wasn't anywhere near the max depth I have been to, However, it was inside a dark, tight, silty wreck.

I find it highly variable what kind of narc I get. I have only had hallucinations once (very scary...). I usually get the happy buzz, but sometimes I get the paranoia. Never been able to figure a link between when I get which, but I probably don't do enough really deep diving to spot patterns.

I stay away from deep these days; a Cousteau special always stuck with me, I can still hear Cousteau's voice describing the "rapture of the deep", and I wanted that type of narcosis, if I was going to get it anyway.....

I can get a dark nark in 20 feet if it is cold....

It would be interesting if there was ever a study done on this, I have only done a handful of dive to 130 feet but never felt the effects of being Narced. I am not a heavy drinker, but have enjoyed a few in my day. But someone once made a comment in saying that "bigger" people (like me) while they tend to burn through their air faster than someone in better shape, they also tend to take longer to get Narced. Any truth in this that anyone know?

I think it's important to remember that when diving, we all get a bit narced before we are consciously aware of it.

That being said, while it's common to compare the experience to that of alcohol, I don't really see them as very similar. Ethanol effects are slower to impact, and slower still to wear off. Narcosis is, IMHO, much more similar to the effect of nitrous oxide - instant effect, and just as quickly goes away. So if you really want to "prepare" for narcosis using some other drug, I recommend putting away the whiskey and picking up a whippet.

Another thing about alcohol is the dehydration factor. I don't know if hydration levels impact narcosis, but it does impact DCS sensitivity, and alcohol definitely dehydrates, even long after one feels the effects. I doubt nitrogen narcosis directly affects hydration, and while nitrous oxide inhibits vitamin B12 processing, it doesn't dehydrate.

hmmm, i like the sound of this. i am starting a nitrogen tollerance traning group as we speak if anyone wants to join me. tonights lesson is going to be tought with a bottle of mead i made my self.
Ok, Now we MUST get together for a dive of mead.. I mean three.

Perhaps the correlation is the muscle memory that allows one to perform when impaired, be it with ETOH or N2. The more experience one has performing a task, driving or diving, the more likely one will be able to perform this task when influenced by being crunk or narc'd. and yes I did not spell it wrong, I just call it Crunk! Being a heavy drinker does not predispose you for performing well while narc'd. Being an experienced diver who is comfy underwater does.
All my opinion, but that works for me until proven to be wrong.

I don't go too deep on air (or at all, really), but I've noticed some narcosis after the fact. Penetrating a dark, silty wreck at only 100 feet on 32% I had some issues getting through doorways and tight spots.

On a recent night dive, at about 80 feet, I had an issue that was pretty novel and my first two actions to solve the problem didn't work. The third one did, luckily, but it should have been the first response as I look back on the situation at the time. I would chuck that one up to some slight narcosis as well, influenced by dark and being a bit cold and tired.

All that, and I normally have a beer or 3 every night so I'm no stranger to alcohol but can be susceptible to narcosis even at depths where it should have little to only moderate effects.

Peace,
Greg

Back
Top Bottom