Nitrogen narcosis and alcohol use.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh...no. What...have...I...done?:eek:

Holy cow I am two drinks into my training

You started at 5 p.m. and then three minutes later you're two drinks in? You are fast, man! :cool2:

I've read numerous studies that state that nitrogen narcosis was an anesthetic, not an intoxicant. Most gasses have anesthetic properties, which become evident at different partial pressures. For instance, nitrous oxide is highly anesthetic at a very low PPN2O. Nitrogen needs a higher partial pressure.

There is no study produced which demonstrates that an individual can develop a tolerance or immunity to nitrogen narcosis. However, it is well documented that individuals can become familiar with the debilitating effects of narcosis...and develop a psychological 'coping mechanism' that allows certain 'automatic' functions to continue. In contrast, problem solving and the ability to deal with novel scenarios is highly degraded.

For as long as the diver does not need to problem solve and can operate within familiar pre-set conditions, they may not feel symptomatic of narcosis. This is why divers can achieve 'problem free' dives when otherwise heavily narc'd and also why they may not overtly percieve the symptoms of narcosis.

Alchohol is a depressant drug that intoxicates. It is a different mechanism and there is no link between the debilitating effects of alchohol and the anesthetic qualities of inert gas narcosis. Thus, no physiological 'pre-conditioning' could be achieved. However, it could be speculated that an individual who was conditioned to operate under the influence of alchohol would develop a psychological capacity to function whilst debilitated by any form of intoxication or anesthesia.

This could be answered by comparing alchohol consumption with anesthetic success in surgeries. Do alchoholics need more gas to sleep before surgery?

N2 being an anesthetic is another way of saying CNS depressant.

Despite the happy drunk feelings, alcohol is also a CNS depressant which is why your reaction times are slowed driving even though most people are so familar with driving they are almost do it on "autopilot".

While the exact modes of action probably differ, at the organ level both are behaving similarly.

I do think that there is a skill that can be developed for recognizing impairment, and subsequently maintaining some amount of focus/control through it. While people generally significantly overestimate the effects of this skill (usually to the detriment of mankind), I do think it exists on some level. I would imagine that - to the extent that such a skill exists - development of said skill while drinking probably has application to dealing with narcosis.

Yea, I have seen a bit of evidence with that. One buddy has never been drunk in his life, hits 30m and starts tripping balls. Never seen anyone get as narced as him. I guess if you have never experienced having to try to concentrate when you are impaired you would have no idea how to do so.

But n=1 so maybe just a coincidence :wink:

Total BS, Alcohol usage has NOTHING to do with Nitrogen tolerance.

Total BS, Alcohol usage has NOTHING to do with Nitrogen tolerance.

Okay, so you have made a definitive statement as if it is undeniable fact. Show us your proof.

I can't provide you with definitive proof, and certainly no scientific data, what I can give you is my experience being employed as a diver for more than a decade.

I've been working with and around Navy Divers and Commercial divers since 1996. Probably 10'ish long time friends who worked in the Navy as divers and 100'ish friends who are commercial divers. If you know anything about the commercial diving industry, you know that they like to drink ALOT, at least in the circles I was around overseas and in the gulf. It's no wonder that Divorce is right next to Diver in the phone book. But I digress, anyway, I've never had a sip of alcohol. However, I've spenting countless hours at 150-200' on air side by side with my co-workers who drink more alcohol daily than most people drink water. According to the above theory, they should have better tolerance to Nitrogen than me. After-all in a 24 hour period they are drunk 8+ hours, and I am sober. Certainly if the above theory were correct, they'd perform their duties faster, better, more efficiently than me, or am I just superhuman? I think not. Anyway, this is just one example that comes to mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom