Nikon dSLR and (much) older Nikkor AI lenses? Compatibility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Put an adapter between the lens and the body, and you won't be able to focus at infinity. Adapters only work when the mount - and the register distance - is different.

Put an adapter between the lens and the body, and you won't be able to focus at infinity. Adapters only work when the mount - and the register distance - is different.

True with many adapters but not all.

I've decided to do further researcher on this rather than jump at the sale prices offered last week. Looking at the Nikon 1 J5 and the FT-1 adapter. I've heard that the FT-1 adapter can accept non-AI Nikkor lenses but Nikon's tech support page doesn't list any as compatible.

PS. This setup will be used only for topside work, not underwater

True with many adapters but not all.
I'd rather say "true if the lens isn't made for the body". The Nikon F mount has a pretty long register distance (longer than most standards), so - in principle, at least - it's rather easy to make an adapter to mount a Nikon F lens on e.g. a Nikon 1, or an m43 body. But put an adapter between a Nikon F body and a Nikon F lens, and you'll make the register distance larger, (most probably) leading to some serious issues with focusing at infinity.

That's also why it's possible to make adapters for mounting a Canon EOS lens on a Nikon F body, but the other way around will lead to some issues. You'll at least need to include some glass in the adapter, reducing the IQ.

Compatibility Table
This guy has a detailed list of working lenses for each model and various conversions available for legacy lenses.

The D5 shoots in 4K for only $6,499.95. :(

Ha, gee thanks, Phil. That would be more than half of my medical bills last year.

Compatibility Table
This guy has a detailed list of working lenses for each model and various conversions available for legacy lenses.

Thanks. I've seen his compatibility list before and it is probably good.

What amazes me is that I get so much conflicting information about using the old non-AI lenses from different sources. I even contacted Nikon support and got two DIFFERENT responses!

I even contacted Nikon support and got two DIFFERENT responses!
No wonder. The AI standard came along in 1977. That's forty (40!) years ago. I wouldn't expect the average drone at Nikon to have full oversight, even if Nikon has impressed before.

I believe in quality that survives the ages. My stereo system is from 1976, much of my SCUBA gear is from the 70s, my telescopes are too.

Of course I've also seen current SCUBA instructors who have no clue about certification standards and agencies from the early 60s!

I've been wondering how the old Nippon Kogaku single coat lenses would do underwater. I love the character of these old lenses and have several. So far I've got a 24mm 2.8, 35mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 105mm 2.5 gold coat, 105mm 2.5 blue coat, and a 600mm 5.6. Between my Nikon lenses and large format, I've got over 50 lenses, most of them being old glass. I would love to hear how these work underwater if anyone has any experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom