Nikon dSLR and (much) older Nikkor AI lenses? Compatibility?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have a small fortune in (much) older Nikon 35mm film cameras and accessories. I was wondering if my old Nikkor AI lenses will work (in manual mode of course) on dSLR bodies like the D3400? Sure be nice to resurrect my lenses, bellows, etc. instead of watching them gather dust in my closet and pretty cool if I can use my PB-5 bellows to shoot extreme close-up HD video!

"Yes - in fact, if you currently own a crop sensor DSLR and are considering which lenses to buy, go for FX lenses if you can afford to, especially if you plan to stick with the brand (Nikon in this case) and upgrade to a full frame camera in time. Whilst the technology in camera bodies changes and improves with time, making it worth upgrading them, lenses are an investment and can be used on newer camera bodies going forward.

Be aware that there's a crop factor when using FX lenses on a DX sensor due to the fact that the sensor is 1.5x smaller than a full frame 35mm sensor. As such, using a 50mm FX lens on a DX sensor would have the same field of view as if using a 75mm lens on an FX sensor."
https://www.quora.com/Can-we-use-FX-format-lenses-for-DX-format-cameras

Yep, best thing Nikon ever did....

Hmmm. Back in the days of film the clear choices (for me, anyway) were Canon or Nikon. I went with Canon. I have a bunch of expensive lenses etc and as far as I could find out (this was several years ago) they are not compatible with any of the DSLR bodies plus they didn't make a body that would fit the controls of the housing that I spent a lot of time building. It looks like I picked the wrong camera company.

But film is coming back someday, right? :wink:

Depends on the body. The Dxxx series (And, I think, the Dx series) give you full M and A capability with AI(s) lenses. They have the AI ring, and you can tell the camera which lens you have to get proper metering and EXIF data. The D7xxx series used to, but the latest (D7500?) has had that feature removed. The consumer models (D3xxx/D5xxx) can mount an AI lens, but will only work in manual mode with stop-down metering. See Nikon Camera and Lens Compatibility Chart for details.

I started my dSLR career with a D300, got a D700 and am now shooting a D500 topside. All of them work perfectly in M and A mode with my great old AI'd 105/2.5, and also with my 50/1.2 AI, and I get proper EXIF data in my files. Wonderful lenses with an expression that you don't see in the modern, hyper-corrected lenses. I installed a KatzEye split image/microprism focusing screen both on the D300 and the D700, and the focusing experience is very much as it was on my trusty old FE2, except that the viewfinder image is quite a bit smaller and not as bright. Modern dSLRs aren't made for a great viewfinder experience.

Oops my OP mention AI lenses but most of my older Nikkor lenses are non-AI

Oops, then you're probably SOL. If your camera is a D3xxx or a D5xxx, you might be able to mount the lens without damaging the housing, but I'd be really careful when trying. With a D7xxx, Dxxx or Dx, forget it. And you will only have manual mode with stop-down metering.

There are instructions on the 'net on how to AI an older non-AI lens. You'll need a Dremel and shinier balls than I have.

I'll drop in here again. Yes it's less risky (mechanical damage due to the abrasion of the aperture tab rubbing against the dslr mount) grinding off the tab and converting them. The mount isn't quite right.

However, on the d50, d90, d3300, d3400 and d5300 I've used non ai non converted lens without meaningful damage.

I'll agree with the caution above though. Sometimes what works and what's prudent can be different things. Here is a warning description of what to guard against:

The damage from non-AI: Nikon SLR Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Regards,
Cameron

P.s. If you have someone coming to Cozumel Mexico I'd happily do the ai modification on your lenses if that would be helpful. I've converted a bunch for people. (no cost of course)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom