Nikon D90 Underwater Shots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, Sea&Sea will most likely release a housing for the Nikon D60 on a new format, with acrylic back called RDX-D60 think it should look like this:
RDX-D60.jpg

If they release the D90 (most likely, and unfortunately for me at least) housing under the same format the price will be around U$1500 as well.

FWIW, This spring, I purchased a used Aquatica D200. I was moving to this from a Oly 5050. I used for a week in Lembeh and a week in Komodo. My camera bag was stolen on the last leg of the trip home (though the camera was in a separate bag) so I'm now about to purchase a new housing.

The Aquatica housing functioned quite well. The only control that I found to be difficult to operate was the AEL/AFL. The control wheels operated well, though maybe not a precisely as I would have liked. The only real downside to the housing is it's weight. The Aquatica is significantly heavier than the other aluminum housings. I used Stix arms to counteract, but with macro, where I used only single 5" arms, the housing remained fairly negative. It's also not as compact as some other housings. It's also not as nicely finished or as precise as some. But it seems a very good, functional housing.

Now that I have a check from my insurance company, I am going to replace the stolen housing, but probably not with an Aquatica. My biggest complaint about the move to an SLR is the increased size and weight, so I'd like to minimize that. I've managed to get my hands on the Nexus and S&S housings. At the moment, I'm leaning heavily toward the Nexus. I was very impressed by the fit and finish of the housing and the obvious precision of its manufacture. It shares the Aquatica's defect concerning the AFL/AEL button access, but otherwise looks like a great housing. My preference for the Nexus over the S&S is the availability of a fiber optic connection to the strobe. With Inon Z240s providing optical ttl, this is, for me, a decisive advantage. I am also considering a used Subal ND20. I've heard nothing but good things about them but haven't been able to put my hands on one.

FWIW, This spring, I purchased a used Aquatica D200. I was moving to this from a Oly 5050. I used for a week in Lembeh and a week in Komodo. My camera bag was stolen on the last leg of the trip home (though the camera was in a separate bag) so I'm now about to purchase a new housing.

The Aquatica housing functioned quite well. The only control that I found to be difficult to operate was the AEL/AFL. The control wheels operated well, though maybe not a precisely as I would have liked. The only real downside to the housing is it's weight. The Aquatica is significantly heavier than the other aluminum housings. I used Stix arms to counteract, but with macro, where I used only single 5" arms, the housing remained fairly negative. It's also not as compact as some other housings. It's also not as nicely finished or as precise as some. But it seems a very good, functional housing.

Now that I have a check from my insurance company, I am going to replace the stolen housing, but probably not with an Aquatica. My biggest complaint about the move to an SLR is the increased size and weight, so I'd like to minimize that. I've managed to get my hands on the Nexus and S&S housings. At the moment, I'm leaning heavily toward the Nexus. I was very impressed by the fit and finish of the housing and the obvious precision of its manufacture. It shares the Aquatica's defect concerning the AFL/AEL button access, but otherwise looks like a great housing. My preference for the Nexus over the S&S is the availability of a fiber optic connection to the strobe. With Inon Z240s providing optical ttl, this is, for me, a decisive advantage. I am also considering a used Subal ND20. I've heard nothing but good things about them but haven't been able to put my hands on one.

If the fiber optical is important to you, the Subal won't give you that. Subal is going to use electronic sync with wired sync cords. I personally prefer this but you said this is a decisive advantage. I've seen the Nexus housings and the Subal is significantly better in fit, and usability.

Just an FYI.

If the fiber optical is important to you, the Subal won't give you that. Subal is going to use electronic sync with wired sync cords. I personally prefer this but you said this is a decisive advantage. I've seen the Nexus housings and the Subal is significantly better in fit, and usability.

Just an FYI.

Decisive because I otherwise see the S&S and Nexus as roughly equal and I do think it's a big advantage. Electical synch cords always seem problematic, and I really do want ttl. With an electrical connection, I then need a converter with the additional expense and bulk. I'm still on the fence about a Subal only because of the general consensus that they are better ergonomically and manufacture than anything except Seacam.

Decisive because I otherwise see the S&S and Nexus as roughly equal and I do think it's a big advantage. Electical synch cords always seem problematic, and I really do want ttl. With an electrical connection, I then need a converter with the additional expense and bulk. I'm still on the fence about a Subal only because of the general consensus that they are better ergonomically and manufacture than anything except Seacam.

Actually, electrical TTL sync is about the only way I would go. I know how it will be handled and I don't want the camera firing its internal flash. Besides the heat buildup, the battery life is reduced on the camera. The fiber is okay, but its just trying to mimic whatever the internal flash is doing whereas the wired TTL allows the camera to know it has an external flash.

The external adapter is an additional bulk, but it can be mounted very nice on the top of the Subal housing. Its all a matter of personal preference, but that's my 0.02. :wink:

Just an FYI.

Really? My buddy uses Subal and fibre optic for ttl. But he is using Canon so maybe Nikon won't work that way. Interesting.

Really? My buddy uses Subal and fibre optic for ttl. But he is using Canon so maybe Nikon won't work that way. Interesting.

Apparently, the Nikon flash has to be fully deployed to function whereas the Canon needs only to be opened a few millimeters.

Correct.. The Nikon will not work this way. Even the Canon requires a retrofit to make the housing work, it is not a "Subal" option per se.

With Nikon, you have one option for strobes on the housing, and it is wire sync cords.

Well, Sea&Sea will most likely release a housing for the Nikon D60 on a new format, with acrylic back called RDX-D60 think it should look like this:
If they release the D90 (most likely, and unfortunately for me at least) housing under the same format the price will be around U$1500 as well.

Yes!....that's exactly what I need. I'm not to keen on buying Ikelite.
It's too bad that this type of housing is not released quickly. I'm sure the D90 will be a bestseller. For many UW photographers making the step towards reflex (like me!), this would be a fantastic option!!!!!

Any new developments on the release date?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom