Night Kayaking / Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmf1081

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Has anybody tried night diving from their Kayak?
The reason I ask is because evenings are really the only free time I have - even my weekends have been busy lately. I have been night diving from the shore off Ldio (for my AOW) and Venice and it was pretty cool.

You would have to fit your Kayak with a few extra things like nav lights, but has anybody tried it before?
Has anybody even been Kayaking at night before? I went once with a couple people from South Lido park for a fishing trip. We were hanging out by in the mangroves so we did not really have a need for any lights besides the ones we wore around our heads.

I haven't tried nite yak diving, but it is an interesting idea. A light stick zip tied to you dive flag on the yak is all the required light needed. I'm thinking it might be doable if a few other interested diver buddied up.

This would be interesting although iI would want more light than a glowstick.

This sounds like something I'd like to try. So far, I haven't been night diving off the yak. The few times I've night dove off Venice, I used a Glo-toob attached to the top of my dive flag and set to flash. Then I read somewhere that a flashing red beacon means distress and must be investigated. Has anyone else heard that before?

Anyway, I'd be up for a night yak dive sometime.

Keep in mind even on a kayak you need to have marking lights just like in any boat
Red and green on the bow and white in the back. They make removable ones. You can buy them at Walmar. I had to have them for my canoe.

That is incorrect, manually powered vessels (kayaks, canoes & rowboats) less than 16 ft are only required to display an all-round white marking light or have another means of marking their position such as a flashlight while underway.

I have been out of town for week so I have not been able to check in, but I am galad to see people are discussing this.
I think I have seen those nav lights at walmart also. My Kayak is under 16 ft so I do not technically need them, but I will see about getting them. And a glowstick on the dive flag sounds easy enough.
Let me get a kayak dive or two under my belt in daylight then I will be up for a night dive. I am installing a cleat for an anchor/tow line this week (DIY job because I am too cheap to have a pro do it). It may be a weekend or two until I can actually get some good solid dive time. Hopefully all will be ready by this weekend though.

I would go to West Marine or similar and get I simple light kit which consists of a bow light that is red/green obviously and a stern light. Fairly inexpensive. I think a glow light stick is just not enough to prevent a motorized boat at speed from running you over. I have a kit for my zodiac that I also use on my kayak at night. Mine requires one D cell for each light but you can really see them. You'll come up with the mods to make them work.
I would like to be a part of a night dive from shore along the Gulf Coast.

They don't see you in the daylight with a flag at night they really need all the help they can get. At least with they bow and stern light they might not run you over.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom