Night Diving - Torch Signals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the maritime world, or at least in the license renewal open-book exam, generally up-and- down flashlight from shore means "yes", and "yes this spot on land is safe for you go towards for a landing".

Light moved horizontally back and forth, means "no", or "not safe".

Sort of like you'd do with your head to nod yes, or shake your head means no.

After doing night dives off a live-a-board, there's either total misunderstanding of light signals... Or no understanding of any light signals. :oops:

The one important thing I like to do is just go over signals with my buddy so at least we have a certain understanding between us. Unfortunately, too many divers want the brightest lights on a night dive... And it ends up looking like a night raid on a drug house.

After doing night dives off a live-a-board, there's either total misunderstanding of light signals... Or no understanding of any light signals. :oops:

The one important thing I like to do is just go over signals with my buddy so at least we have a certain understanding between us. Unfortunately, too many divers want the brightest lights on a night dive... And it ends up looking like a night raid on a drug house.
the bigger issue with OW night dives is the beam patterns are often very wide which makes proper light signals almost impossible unless you are really close to some solid object and can signal against it. If you aren't then about the only thing that matters is if you see a light beam waving then pay attention to me so I can give you hand signals, if the light beam is waving rapidly or erratically then it's an emergency.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom