Night Diving - Torch Signals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrogmanFred

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi,

I have found that there are no standard torch signalling gestures used when night diving. The signal for "OK" (slow circular movement of the torch) appears to be used across the board. However, the sign for getting a buddy's attention and the one for signalling an emergency situation tend to differ between divers and training agency.
For example, the first one below is the method advocated by NAUI and the second is from another agency.

Untitled.jpg

flashlight-signals-underwater-at-night-diving-300x114.jpg

Which do you feel is correct and why? Or is there an alternative we could all agree to (he says with tongue firmly planted in cheek 🤣)

Cheers!

FF

I'm not sure of why you'd want to differentiate between "Attention" and "Distress", other than perhaps the emergency signal being a more vigorous wave of the light. I think the most important thing for new night divers would be emphasizing that light movements should be slow and deliberate and kept away from the eyes of other divers and the critters they're looking at. A group of night divers off a liveaboard typically looks like a crazed disco ball!

I was taught that attention and emergency are the same pattern (your light in/out of partners spot). Attention is slow. Emergency is much faster and does a great job of conveying just how urgent things are.

I was taught that attention and emergency are the same pattern (your light in/out of partners spot). Attention is slow. Emergency is much faster and does a great job of conveying just how urgent things are.

This is what I've always used for night or low viz diving. All other communication is then done by lighting up your hand and making the appropriate signal once you have their attention.

If I'm not able to get their attention using the above method, I will try and light up the side of their head with a couple of sweeps of my light. I then immediately shine my light down and away from them so as to not blind them when if they finally look my way.

I will do this sometimes even in non-night diving situations with someone who may not be diving with me but who I want to get their attention. For example, diving with a large group and I want to point out something I've found to a photographer who isn't my buddy. Is any photographer ever really your buddy??? :rofl3: I try not to bang my tank in this situation because that can startle anything I may be watching closely.

i am with boltsnap on this one.

i use circle for ok.
i use small up and down for attention
i use larger, rapid, side to side for emergency.
if it was a gas emergency, the large, rapid side to side motion can easily be coupled with the slashing of the throat sign with the other hand.
the two together is a more natural movement rather than doing an up and down light signal coupled with a side to side throat slash.

Faster and (probably) a lot more sporadic. That's how I was taught as well. Having said that, I've been on night dives with unknown groups and their attention signals had me thinking they were having an emergency.

circle=ok
I do not differentiate between up/down or left/right. The faster the movement the more I need your attention. The signal gets progressively faster if you continue to ignore it, but I do not differentiate between up/down and left/right or whatever numb nuts in NAUI said to make a smiley for attention and frown for distress *especially this one, you won't remember to do that if you're truly distressed I promise*. Too confusing, simplify the signal and call it a day. Flat motion means I need you to look at me, use your hands after that.

Depends where you are and where your buddy is at the moment of signalling. In a cave, you would want to signal off a wall to where the signal is visible to him. Cover your light for total black out to see where he is. Bang the rear knob on your knife against the tank to get his attention.

I always brief military light signals, which happen to correspond well to commonly-used scuba light signals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom