Night dive on the GROVE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want a full trip report when you return. Damn I wish I could have gone. This sounds like a great dive.

Have a blast.

Scott

Great Dive, Great Buddies.

Full report coming soon, but my PC does not work under water.

Have I told you lately that I hate you?!?!? Just kidding. Hope you're having a great trip.;-0

The weather was perfect. No clouds, full moon.
We left the Dock shortly before sunset (7:15) & arrived over the Grove in full dark (8:00) exept for the bright moon.

The current was mild enough to allow us an easy swim to the front of the boat. We went down on the second ball from the bow.
We lost all current around 50 feet. After gathering on the hull we made our way to the wheel house.
We voted Brent guide as he has countless dives on the grove. However he offered me the lead as we dropped down thru the wheel house, checking passageways as we went, finally emerging at the bottom in 120+fsw.

We reformed at the bottom & Brent led us aft to the Starboard gunmount that overlooks the Well deck. I maxed 126fsw. We then drifted up into the well deck in the 90fsw range & looked around, eventually inspecting the crane from all sides.

We then drifted up to the top (port) of the well deck & continued aft. Finally rolling up over the deck near the rear of the well deck. At that time the current caught us again. But thanks to Brent's great plan, we used the current to drift back along the deck. Stopping often to check out openings, and inspect the new Nameplates of the first 500 Lifetime sponsors. Brent & I will both be on the Third plate (501-750). There is still time to become a sponsor (1000 needed @$250).

Anyway we ended up back at the line at just over 40 min, and made a slow ascent to our safety stop at 44 min. Getting back on the Boat at just over 50 minutes.

Not a lot of large critters, did see a couple of Lobsters, a few Spiny crabs. Most of the fish were bedded down in the lee of various protrusions.

The most amazing thing to me was the color. During the day, even with a light, you mostly see the ship with filtered sunlight. All reds, and in fact half the visible spectrum, is filtered out.

At night you only see what you light up, & you see it in its fullest vibrant color. The Spiegel Grove is an amazingly colorful array of soft & some hard corals taking hold. When I lit up that lower Gun mount it cast a beautiful shadow on the white sand below.

The bottom line.... this was a truely memorable, great dive.
Brent & Red are both great divers, I had a dive I won't soon forget.

That's all for now, I expect Red to post when he gets back to Daytona. Hopefully Brent will post his observations as well.

Maybe next time we will do the Duanne at night:confused:

Anyone interested (late October) ?

Ok. Got to Florida City and my brust disc went in my 120lp and the good cave fill I had in it:( Stoped at a ScubaPro shop to get a disc. that was $32.00 for a disc:( Now had to find a good fill. Went to Dive In and they hooked me up:) Now its off to Island Ventures (NO STESS) Dive charters. Where I meet HarleyDiver and Brent. It was about (8pm) when we arrived. With a full moon what a night for a night dive. There was hardly any tide. It was a dive that I will talk about for awhile to come. It was nice to meet HarleyDiver and Brent. They are safe divers. And I look to dive with them again. Maybe next month on the Duanne:confused:.

was awesome... lots of color... lots of critters... several LARGE trumpetfish... lots of crabs... and a few small spiney lobsters. The vertical crane arm is almost completely covered with soft corals, sponges, and crabs of various sizes and species. The prevailing current appears to have deposited a plethora of life forms on the wreck... and now they're growing up... the Grove is rapidly becoming a world-class artificial reef!

I logged 49 minutes underwater, with a max depth of 38 meters (125 feet), and a minimum temperature of 23 degrees (73 F). My little UK C-8 dive light paled in comparison to Lance and Red's 10 watt HID's, but visibility was good, and current was minimal. It doesn't get much better than this! It was great meeting Red, seeing Lance, and diving with them both. Let's do it again soon!

I'll be doing an afernoon dive during DEMA (Oct. 10th) with Captain Slate's crew on the Grove. This will be a 1pm dive (hopefull I will get there ontime form the airport); I am intersted to do a night dive on the Grove that Friday as well. any suggestions who to call?

Yes, just spoke to Brian from Island Ventured, and they do need 3 divers in order to go out on the Grove at night. But, I am the only one, and need two more divers... any takers??

The date is Friday- Oct 10th - night dive (7pm)

I would like to do it again. I will try to get somebody to go. I will let you know. What is the latest you have to know?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom