Nice knife for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

windyday2010

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, there. Was wondering what kind of knife do u guys use when diving? Actually, I'm new to diving. Might ask some stupid questions. So, plz...

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Spam link removed - actual question left for discussion value

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jax
Wenoka Squeeze Lock Knife, Blunt
Is what i use.
Kai Shun 8" Steel Chef's Knife
Its a kitchen knife not a dive knife

scubapro mako titanium dive knife.

can't view the auction, but you need a robust cover and ideally a leg or BCD strap.

chef knife? are you planning on making sushi down there?

Think about what you might want a knife for whilst diving.

Generally, I think that smaller knives are actually better than bigger ones. You probably want a line cutter on the back of the blade.

I use a Halcyon T knife on my harness:

Halcyon-TitaniumKnife.jpg

and a Saeko folding knife as spare in my drysuit pocket:

SCMX-KN-700TI-1.jpg

I'd also seriously consider trauma shears as an alternative to a knife.

Wenoka sea style z-lock blunt and a pair of med-shears.

There's a lot of different thoughts on dive knives, it depends on what type of diving you'll be doing and what you'll be using a knife for.....

What do u think about this [mod edit-spammer link removed]? Is it nice knife for diving??

However I think it fairly safe to say the answer to the question above is a definite no :)

Unless you're planning on some form of hunting or underwater self defence most larger knifes can be an accident waiting to happen. It's best to get a smaller knife, like the halcyon one a few posts above, or just use a cut-off steak knife in a sheath made from webbing. A serrated blade somewhere on the knife will be a big help if you need to cut something thicker.

Try to mount the knife when you can access it easily - strapping a knife to the leg isn't much use if you can't reach it...... Best place is on your harness or inflater hose - it's also worth having a simple non-knife line cutter as mentioned in the posts above, these are much smaller and tend to work well mounted to computers.

Just plan on getting a dive knife for what you'll need to use it for - not to try to look cool by having a full sword attached to your leg :)

Karl

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I both have the Halcyon T knife on the harness, just like AndyNZ

I'm still new to diving so take it for what it's worth....I'm using a Spyderco Pacific Salt clipped to my BCD. Small, convenient, and no rust. Just a wee bit expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom