Nice and simple question about wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OneBrightGator:
Maybe the design of the wing has something to do with it, since the Venture has most of it's buoyancy lower. Who knows, whatever works, works.

I'm tossed my gear in the water before, LP104, DR Wreck light, SS backplate and my 30lb wing floated it just fine.

Yeah, it should. Even if I moved all my weightbelt weight to my tank I'd still only need:

6# backplate
10# tank
10# weightbelt

which is 26#

There is, actually, no way that I can make any of the numbers come up to needing more than 30# of lift for me. I still like my 40# eclipse wing for surface swims.

(and does anyone else find the title of this thread to be a little ironic at this point?)

sulaiman:
hello there
my friend you are overweighted
im 250 lbs and i use 10lbs whith 0.5 skin suit
try to loss some led from your weight belt

thanks

Different gear configurations require different weighting.

When I dive warm water environs ... in a full 3 mil wetsuit ... I wear 4 lbs ... plus a 2 lb aluminum backplate.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

lamont:
Yeah, it should. Even if I moved all my weightbelt weight to my tank I'd still only need:

6# backplate
10# tank
10# weightbelt

which is 26#

There is, actually, no way that I can make any of the numbers come up to needing more than 30# of lift for me. I still like my 40# eclipse wing for surface swims.

Don't forget regulators, knives, drings, boltsnaps, lights, valves, etc... they all add up.

However, I don't think the 30# thing is unreasonable...I imagine having the extra lift at the surface is more a function of comfort rather than need. There is *no way* someone needs 30# of positive lift to remain at the surface if you are weighted neutral....in fact, all you would need is the weight of the gas in your tanks. However the extra size of the 40# wing would support you higher out of the water, and thus make it a more comfortable experience.

(and does anyone else find the title of this thread to be a little ironic at this point?)
Most definitely

Soggy:
Actually, I think it's you who are overweighted...

NWGrateful diver is diving a trilam drysuit in Washington State.

maybe who knows

Soggy:
Don't forget regulators, knives, drings, boltsnaps, lights, valves, etc... they all add up.

However, I don't think the 30# thing is unreasonable...I imagine having the extra lift at the surface is more a function of comfort rather than need. There is *no way* someone needs 30# of positive lift to remain at the surface if you are weighted neutral....in fact, all you would need is the weight of the gas in your tanks. However the extra size of the 40# wing would support you higher out of the water, and thus make it a more comfortable experience.

*exactly*.

and even with a fully-inflated 40# wing i can still find myself spitting out seawater in even mildly rough conditions. with a 30# wing i'd probably have to start carrying a snorkel and we just don't even wanna go there...

i also think i can make a pretty decent argument that most scuba accidents happen at the surface, so that by sacrificing a little in the way of streamlining for lift you aren't optimizing for the wrong thing. plus the eclipse 30# and 40# wings have pretty similar streamlining profiles when they have a similar amount of gas in them...

Hey, what happened to the "nice and simple" answer I was expecting...LOL. I have had my hand on a 30lb, my other on a 45lb whilst a 35lb wing stands by my feet. :wink: I have learnt a lot of what everyone else is using and trying to fit that into my way of diving. I think I understand what the lift now means. I am leaning towards the 32lb OMS travel wing for a single tank set up as it looks less wide but would that be a problem for me as I only stand 5' 8"? I'll go searching on the site and see how the different wings compare. Thanks for all the input!

Far_X:
Hey, what happened to the "nice and simple" answer I was expecting...LOL. I have had my hand on a 30lb, my other on a 45lb whilst a 35lb wing stands by my feet. :wink: I have learnt a lot of what everyone else is using and trying to fit that into my way of diving. I think I understand what the lift now means. I am leaning towards the 32lb OMS travel wing for a single tank set up as it looks less wide but would that be a problem for me as I only stand 5' 8"? I'll go searching on the site and see how the different wings compare. Thanks for all the input!

If you get the OMS wing, make sure you buy a shorter corrugated hose. Those OMS wings have like a 20 ft long corrugated hose on them that dangles down below you like you wouldn't believe. Also, make sure that it's not a horseshoe design...for single tanks you want the bladder to be a complete oval to make dumping from the wing easier.

Hey Soggy, thanks for the advice. Does this fall under the oval design for a single?

bc-single.jpg

As opposed to the horseshoe design...

bc116.jpg

I have to be sure as I say tomartoe and you say tomaydo :wink:

Far_X:
Hey Soggy, thanks for the advice. Does this fall under the oval design for a single?

bc-single.jpg

I can't tell from the picture. I *don't think* it's an oval design, but the piece of cordura at the bottom is messing with my depth perception of the picture to see if it is inflated all the way around.

Just posted the question to OMS as I don't have one with me at the moment...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom