Next Weekend?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guys I am gonna have to decline, my regular dive buddy wants to go but she dont have a DS, shed freeze and Id have to listen to it all the way home. Its a long way to go from NJ to Carlisle.

Now I gotta wait longer to get wet again.

Combo of too far and too early.. I'm working late on Sunday. Count me out.. sounds interesting though.

I might end up meeting Soggy in Boston (hour or so closer) for a couple shore dives there. You guys have fun!

Well at this point looks like it may just be me and you Frank. I'm picking up my tanks in a few hours, totally forgot they were still at the shop. Would have been nice of them to call when they were ready though! After that I'm pretty much all set.

Let's say 7:00 at corner by the church, if you look at the map.

By the Church it is. You can disregard that part of my PM now--I hadn't read this first. Did you hear back from XJae??

If there's anyone else out there that wants to join in just send me or Grunzster a PM.

Frank

Guys enjoy, I would love to meet up with ya's and dive, maybe next time. Let me know how it goes.

Sorry, I'm out for tommorow.
Something came up.

G- sent you a pm.

Dive safe and I hope you guys have excellent conditions.

Me and FrankF got there around 7am. The ocean was a sheet of glass, almost like most of the spots on the North shore of LI.

We took a walk down to figure out exactly where the wrecks were and plan our entry. The retreat is right in front of the site, right next to it is the condos (where you can't park, even this time of year with an empty lot) so we parked next to the Church. As we were about to get our gear, someone came up and told us we could probably park in the Beach Club next to the condos, so we moved...again.

As we're unloading the old guy who owns the beach club comes out and says we can't park there. We talk to hime for a minute, then I continue hauling gear as Frank continues to chat with him and gets him to change his mind. We set our gear up on the wall in front of the beach club, and take our sweet as time, as we're both pretty tired from hauling all the gear a few hundred feet.

Then I notice it's pretty close to our planned time, and the water isn't as calm as it was when we first showed up. We rush to finish rigging our gear and head towards the water, and down the beach a good 100 feet to the jetty that the wrecks are off of. At this point I feel like I just ran a marathon. Also the waves are getting bigger and it's already half an hour past slack, by the time we swim out it would be another 10-15min and that's without taking a much needed rest. Plus we're just rushing to get in the water in general. I figure you add all of that up and we're just asking for trouble. So I call the dive.

Next we head to Belmar, planning to do the back bay, behind Shark River Inlet, where the tide won't really be an issue. We get there and it's choppy as hell, especially for the bay, and vis is 0, so we don't even make an attempt.

So basically we both got up really early to get get a couple slices of pizza! I did get to test out my p-vavle though!

I do want to try to do this dive again though. I think the best plan is to park in the back of the condo lot, just to dump your gear (It's much closer to the beach than where we were), then maybe park by the church. Bring your gear to the jetty to rig it, so you're not walking as far on the beach in your rig. Also get there 1 1/2 - 2 hours ahead of time, because even with that plan you have to haul gear pretty far. You really need to factor in time to take a rest before jumping in.

I have a few pics I'll post in the next few days.

At least I'm not the only one whose diving day was canceled due to the weather.. :wink:

I think the next time we try to do the dual wrecks I am going to get together with Barry Bonds' trainer the week before. My arms feel like they are going to fall off today from lugging all of my gear! Maybe we could install a Wreck Valley conveyor belt at the site.

Back
Top Bottom