DIR- GUE Next steps toward GUE tech pass?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alurpal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I’m currently an AOW diver with about 25 dives (both fresh and salt, boat and shore).

I have a dgx bp/w and have my weight and trim locked in for single tank/3mm wetsuit. Buoyancy and hover feel very locked in. Back kick, helicopter, frog all pretty easy at this point. My descent and ascent is pretty controllable with just lungs in a horizontal position (adjusting wing as necessary). I can deploy a dsmb from safety stop.

I configured my rig to be compliant with GUE (as far as I can tell from free online resources).

Anyway, I’m pretty sure I want to go down the GUE fundamentals —> tech 1 route and have a question:

Should I get a drysuit and start getting comfortable with single tank, then get some hp100 doubles and start getting comfortable and then go for fundamentals tech pass or is that too lofty of a goal at this point?

Step 1: find the best instructor and/or a local GUE community, if you have one. They are going to be in the best position to give you advice about specifics of what will be most useful to achieve your goals. Fairly unavoidably, you're going to need a bunch of diving (preferably with GUE or DIR-concious divers) to get to your goal, so if I were you, I'd think about how you are going to get those dives in, rather than what to fiddle with with your gear config.

Ultimately, your progression is going to be:

Fundies --> A bunch of diving --> Tech 1

The only question is whether or not there's going to be an extra step of Fundies --> A bunch of diving --> Tech upgrade --> Tech 1. But honestly, I don't think it's a big deal if you get a Tech pass immediately, or have to do some work on that after fundies.

For some context, I took Fundies (with a local instructor) in June 2021. I did a bunch of reading beforehand, thought I was in a ok-ish position to look for a Tech pass out of the course, and that was my objective going in. As it turns out, I was deluding myself about a lot of my fundamental skills (which quickly showed up in the course!).

I got a provisional out of the course, and put in ~100 dives in the last year, mostly with the local GUE community, in order to work on skills until I felt (and my instructor felt!) that I was in a good place to sign up for Tech 1. Sure, it took longer than I expected going in, but I now feel well prepared for a Tech 1 course, which really is the ultimate objective.

To me, it sounds like the real question you're asking is 'what can I best do to prepare myself for a journey to T1'. If that's the case, I would really stress my advice at the top: think about how you can best do a bunch of diving with good divers that follow a similar mindset and philosophy. I am extremely lucky that I have an incredibly supportive local community and easy diving right at my doorstep, and that has made my journey as easy as possible.

Should I get a drysuit and start getting comfortable with single tank, then get some hp100 doubles and start getting comfortable and then go for fundamentals tech pass or is that too lofty of a goal at this point?
I first took Fundies in a single-tank rig with wetsuit, and it was hard enough for me. At the time I had no inclination to do any tech diving, so doubles and drysuit weren't even on my radar. A year and a half or so later I bought doubles and a drysuit and took a combined Doubles and Drysuit primer course with a GUE instructor. I did that on the recommendation of an experienced GUE mentor of mine who said that if my goal was tech, I might as well tackle doubles and drysuit together rather than drysuit first, then doubles. After the primer course, I went out and practiced and practiced for a couple of years, interspersing the practice with some coaching sessions from GUE instructors, before attaining the "tech upgrade" to my Fundies rec pass.

I had a difficult time getting up to tech-level performance in the doubles and drysuit combo, and sometimes I wonder whether I might have done better had I learned to dive a drysuit first, THEN gotten into doubles. But this is just hindsight speculation, and there is no way for me to know. And the bottom line is the order doesn't matter so much. What matters is practice, persistence and all that stuff, because you'll get to your goal soon enough by whichever path. By the way, don't be discouraged at my mention of "a couple of years" of practicing skills before getting to tech level; I am probably on the less-talented end of the bell curve.

As you seem to be aware, a consideration is that you want to get the most out of your Fundies course that you can--not be so burdened by unfamiliar gear that it interferes with your ability to absorb the really fundamental stuff about the GUE system. The fundamental stuff is the same regardless of what gear configuration you're taking Fundies in, so you might even consider taking Fundies in a drysuit and single tank. That way, you would be exposed to the GUE system sooner rather than later and maybe get more out of the course. As I mentioned, I took my original Fundies course with a single tank and wetsuit--a configuration that I had been diving in for 10+ years. I believe being comfortable in that configuration enabled me to get more out of the course.

I observed another Fundies class in which one of the students was apparently not very comfortable with his drysuit and doubles and canister light, and he did not do well. He was really struggling. Maybe if he had spent many hours diving on his own in that configuration before taking Fundies he would have done better, but on the other hand, maybe he would have developed bad habits by diving so much on his own, and he would have had to concentrate in Fundies on breaking those habits. Who knows.

I see you are in Asheville, so you could come down to Florida and do Fundies in the springs. Have you had a chat with any GUE instructors about your goals? Kyle Harmon or Meredith Tanguay are two I know would be glad to spend some time talking with a diver about how to start on their journey. I have never heard of an instructor who would not make time to talk with someone in your position.

In summary, whichever approach you decide, it won't be the wrong decision, because there are instructors and mentors to help you reach your goal no matter what angle you begin your approach from. I believe it's more of an individual thing as to what gear to learn in what order. If you want to get familiar with a drysuit, then add the doubles and get familiar with that combo, and THEN go for Fundies in the full gear configuration--doubles, drysuit, primary light-- you'll do fine. Maybe you won't get a tech pass the first time around, but you'll do fine and learn plenty. Regardless of in what order you tackle the gear, you WILL get there. Talk with an instructor!

I do my training at gray quarry, TN and make my way to south Florida for ocean dives.
How's the visibility @ gray quarry?

How's the visibility @ gray quarry?
If you get there early, maybe 20-40’ but once it gets busy, the bottom gets kicked up. Most of the sunken objects have a little placard with compress headings to other objects so actually kinda fun even if viz isn’t great that day.

There are also big aerators that keep the water mixed so there’s practically no thermocline.

Finally, there is a school of 4’ paddle fish that like to circle around the aerators at 30-40’ with their mouths wide open filter feeding. Pretty neat.

I attached some maps of the quarry.

Attachments

• 05C2F376-072A-4A73-BE6A-C5E019A123DD.jpeg
    05C2F376-072A-4A73-BE6A-C5E019A123DD.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 332FE512-8E68-4CF5-8FFD-8D137A5C11FA.jpeg
    332FE512-8E68-4CF5-8FFD-8D137A5C11FA.jpeg
    188.2 KB · Views: 81
If you're already doing quarry diving, get the drysuit already. Then you can extend your dive season (comfortably).

Why not do dry suit and doubles primers? That would go a long way in preparing you for fundies.
BTW, you are doing the right thing by taking fundies early, before bad habits get harder to break.

A drysuit requires a lot of practice. If you intend to use one, start learning now.
- this advice is not specific to GUE in any way

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom