Next step for longer bottom times on deep dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"I'm untrained, with a decompression obligation, with as little as two hundred psi of gas in my primary cylinder [according to post history], and haven't verified that my pony is functional on this dive. I don't need more classes or gear."

Diving air while using a Peridix set at 50/80 and having 10 minutes of deco could show a surface GF of 89....... It's all relative - do I have deco or not?? The guy right beside me the whole dive didn't.....

Talking small amounts of deco here, 10 minutes or less.

Diving air while using a Peridix set at 50/80 and having 10 minutes of deco could show a surface GF of 89....... It's all relative - do I have deco or not?? The guy right beside me the whole dive didn't.....

Talking small amounts of deco here, 10 minutes or less.
Excellent perspective!

On days diving within recreational depths with buddies diving Suuntos by the second dive there were noticeable differences in NDL on the computers. The shorter the SI and the more dives it became ridiculous. I would be at NDL or clear on the way up with an Oceanic or Orca and the Suunto divers would have 10 minutes to a half hour of deco by dive three or four. Diving exactly the same BT and SI. Of course, their computers saw a shorter SI and it compounded as the day went on. After a few trips side by side most bought different computers.
So what was NDL dive for one guy was a deco dive for another solely based on computer choice.

But that is absolutely NOT TRUE.

If you had read the quote I was responding to, it was discussing training in the US in general. I don't believe there is a lot of BSAC and CMAS training taking place in the US, but I could be wrong.

BSAC teach more that 15 min deco.
Advanced Mixed Gas open circuit to 80m
Advanced Mixed Gas CCR to 80m

Dives beyond these limits require the National Diving Office’s approval (for insurance purposes).

(Was referring to Sports Diver's deco limit - not the tech courses)
Excellent perspective!

On days diving within recreational depths with buddies diving Suuntos by the second dive there were noticeable differences in NDL on the computers. The shorter the SI and the more dives it became ridiculous. I would be at NDL or clear on the way up with an Oceanic or Orca and the Suunto divers would have 10 minutes to a half hour of deco by dive three or four. Diving exactly the same BT and SI. Of course, their computers saw a shorter SI and it compounded as the day went on. After a few trips side by side most bought different computers.
So what was NDL dive for one guy was a deco dive for another solely based on computer choice.

Easiest way of determining tech vs recreational... if diving with a Suunto, they're recreational.

The courses quoted are for Sports Divers and above.
Does BSAC Sports Diver allow you to do 15 mins of backgas deco, or is that wrong?

Does BSAC Sports Diver allow you to do 15 mins of backgas deco, or is that wrong?

When I did BSAC Sports diving we had one back gas tank but brought along other tanks that were placed say at a wreck dive or on the anchor line from the boat...

So on a wreck dive anchor line was at the wreck site, we used the tanks on the line for deco stops and then our own tank when ascending. All on air no nitrox back in the 80's

(Was referring to Sports Diver's deco limit - not the tech courses)

Easiest way of determining tech vs recreational... if diving with a Suunto, they're recreational.

Great to know that all those Trimix dives using the Suunto are recreational dives :)
And the CCR dives using the Suunto :)

BSAC Sports Diver allows you to do as much decompression on the gas you carry as you wish, assuming you have the gas for the dive. The only real limitation is that it does not cover accelerated decompression. To do Accelerated decompression you DO need to do a Tech course, BSAC ADP would allow you to accelerate the decompression.

I could never see the use of the words Suunto and accelerated decompression in the same sentence. Unless in guage mode of course. The more time we did and the deeper we went, they really became entirely useless compared to cutting tables or other computers.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom