Next step for longer bottom times on deep dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of my deep was solo, as one needs a very good buddy that understands how dangerous it is and when to quit.

More than magnificent ha ha ha ha ha, the only buddy to have!

If we asked Dr. Simon Mitchell if it is his professional recommendation that all recreational training agencies limit all recreational diving to 100' or below due to the gas density and/or narcosis safety concerns/risk in the current 101-130' recreational range until divers are trained on and using trimix to make the dive safe? I'd be very, very surprised to hear him say that should be done as a blanket "rule" for diving. I know he doesn't endorse "deep air diving", but I don't know that he 'opposes" diving on air/nitrox at 101' for instance. It seems to be that some people are saying that's his position however, so I'd love to get clarification on his professional thoughts for that scenario.

I could be wrong, and I'd love to hear his answer, so maybe @Dr Simon Mitchell will answer that question.

I learn from the best and the worst.

Generally, Professor implies Ph.D (or M.D. or J.D.), and Professor Mitchell has a Ph.D. Saying Dr. might clarify that he's qualified in the area (medicine) if we assume it refers to being a medical doctor (someone with an M.D.). Which Professor does not by itself, as he could be an economics professor....

And thank you Professor Mitchell.
All that is true, but Simon is a medical Doctor (anaesthesiologist , totally didn't rely on spell check for that...)
Back in my Officer Training days, we were taught an order of addressing peoples titles, generally a medical Dr ranked ahead of academic titles. For a PhD doctor, Professor usually outranked just Dr.

That was all 25+ years ago and I am very confident Simon doesn't give 2 hoots, I just felt that addressing him as Assistant Professor and then snarkily reverting to professor was a little disrespectful, so I thought I'd clarify a little in case they aren't aware of Dr Mitchell's qualifications.

All that is true, but Simon is a medical Doctor (anaesthesiologist , totally didn't rely on spell check for that...)
Back in my Officer Training days, we were taught an order of addressing peoples titles, generally a medical Dr ranked ahead of academic titles. For a PhD doctor, Professor usually outranked just Dr.

That was all 25+ years ago and I am very confident Simon doesn't give 2 hoots, I just felt that addressing him as Assistant Professor and then snarkily reverting to professor was a little disrespectful, so I thought I'd clarify a little in case they aren't aware of Dr Mitchell's qualifications.
Yes, assistant read as being snarky. And as it turned out wrong....

I'm not sure if he cares much between Dr. and Professor. Though he has both medical and academic/research doctorates, and is additionally, to either, a professor. Engaged in research, teaching, and post graduate supervision in "pathophysiology of decompression sickness, respiratory physiology in diving, carbon dioxide removal in diving circle circuits." And he's the head of Anaesthesiology and a deep diver. As a Professor in those areas he is likely more qualified on them than a local M.D.

So really really well qualified for scuba medical and physiology questions.

(Comparing the range of professors, from teaching and research institutions, with the range of medical doctors, might be challenging to do in a meaningful way. But you might ask Nobel laureate professors how they feel about being referred to as Ms. Smith, while a local doctor is referred to as Dr. Jones. By, for example, the NYTimes style guide for the first mention of a person.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom