Next S/W Version feature request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MargaritaMike

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I now have about 20 dives on my Perdix AI and at the moment there is only one thing that I would like to change. When diving in OC Rec mode the safety stop is 10ft. I have not been able to find a way to change the last stop depth to anything else. The manual says it's changeable to 10 or 20 feet but that seem to be only in OC Tec and not in OC Rec. I am not even looking at CC modes at this time. I would like to see 1) ability to change the last stop in OC Rec mode, and furthermore to change it to 15Ft. since almost all dive briefs include a 15ft. safety stop. If someone knows how to do this, please let me know. Also, if Shearwater is watching, consider this input for requested software version update.

Thanks and Cheers - M²

this got brought up last week.

The countdown for the safety stop starts when you cross 20 ishft and ticks down. With the safety stop, you are either within the bounds of NDL, or have already completed your decompression depending on what you're doing.

When your computer says 10ft, it isn't telling you to go to 10ft, it is saying that you can't go over 10ft. The only thing that will not be correct is the TTS number on your screen, but if you are doing NDL diving, then it won't change because you can surface whenever you want. You can do your safety stop at 15ft, 11.6ft, 17.2ft, the computer doesn't care

this got brought up last week.
I missed it last week. I was diving in Cozumel and was trying to set my last stop to 15ft. (lol)

if you are doing NDL diving, then it won't change because you can surface whenever you want. You can do your safety stop at 15ft, 11.6ft, 17.2ft, the computer doesn't care
I know I can surface at any time when I'm within NDL limits, HOWEVER, if the computer is telling me to safety stop at 10Ft and I am stopping at 15ft., I'd rather the computer tell me what I really plan to do. It doesn't say safety stop ceiling, it says safety stop. Again, realistically I don't even HAVE to do that because the computer doesn't care.

Does this make sense at all? @TBone, I really appreciate your input. Thanks.

Cheers - M²

@MargaritaMike it does make sense, but I believe the "ceiling" is implied to save screen real estate.

I've never put it in rec-nitrox mode so they must have changed it from the manual that I had downloaded which just says "safety stop" and below it is the countdown. It didn't show depth unless you were in "deco stop"

Either way, it's really no different than when we have deco stops and as soon as you start ascending it says "xft, x minutes" but you may not have control over how long it takes you to get to that point *i.e. in a cave where it may take you 2 hours to get to that first stop depth....

MM in recreational mode and during NDL dives there is no last stop (that is the depth option in see in the tec mode). Its just a safety stop and the count down starts once you pass 20 feet. You can choose to hang there or continue to 15 if you like or even 10. Either way the countdown will continue as long as you stay in the range of 23 to 7 feet.

@MargaritaMike it does make sense, but I believe the "ceiling" is implied to save screen real estate.

I've never put it in rec-nitrox mode so they must have changed it from the manual that I had downloaded which just says "safety stop" and below it is the countdown. It didn't show depth unless you were in "deco stop"
You are correct. It only says "Safety Stop" with a countdown timere until "Complete". I just like for things to say what I plan to do.
Cheers - M²

You are correct. It only says "Safety Stop" with a countdown timere until "Complete". I just like for things to say what I plan to do.
Cheers - M²

so how do you know it says to go to 10ft? what happens if you plan to randomly have an 18ft stop, or 11ft stop because that is the depth of the hang bar on the boat? What is the downside of just having it count down once you cross 20ft?

I've made a decision. I won't be posting anymore. All I did was ask for a software change for OC Rec mode. It has been pointed out how stupid my request is. Even if the last stop of 15ft doesn't mean anything for "Safety Stop" in OC Rec mode, if I change to OC Tec for different displays, 15ft last stop would make me happy. Besides, the manual says 10 or 20 feet and in OC Rec mode, I have only been able to see 10ft last stop while in System Setup.

Cheers - M²

I've made a decision. I won't be posting anymore. All I did was ask for a software change for OC Rec mode. It has been pointed out how stupid my request is. Even if the last stop of 15ft doesn't mean anything for "Safety Stop" in OC Rec mode, if I change to OC Tec for different displays, 15ft last stop would make me happy. Besides, the manual says 10 or 20 feet and in OC Rec mode, I have only been able to see 10ft last stop while in System Setup.

Cheers - M²

Hi MargaritaMike,

I for one am glad you posted your request. We appreciate hearing from divers about what they want and what they find frustrating in dive computers. We can't always include everything that is requested, but the feedback is always helpful.

I am sorry the manual was inconsistent. When we released the OC Rec firmware, we wrote a separate manual specifically for OC Rec mode. But the website isn't super clear about the separate manual. Here is the OC Rec manual. https://www.shearwater.com/manuals/Rec-Nitrox-Mode-Perdix.pdf

On page 14 it describes the safety stops, and at what depths they countdown.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research

Cheers - M²

it wasn't made to make you feel stupid. It's trying to help understand what that setting does and what it means for you diving, and why you feel like it may be beneficial to you. So please hear me out.

I think the part that you're confusing though is that the computer does not treat "safety stop" like it does "deco stop", and I think the manual may be a bit confusing because it says "last stop" and doesn't really define it further. Shearwaters focus since they started has been on rebreather and technical OC divers up until a couple years ago when the Rec mode was released, so it may be a learning opportunity for them in writing this manual to help clear up confusion since it has come up twice this week.

The last "deco stop" is 10ft, and all of the divers that I know, use 10ft as their last stop setting. They do this because it keeps the computer happy if you have to/want to go up to a 15ft hang bar, or there is a cool part of the cave at 10ft *or easy part of the cave*, or a habitat, or whatever where you may not want to stay down at 20ft, and don't want your computer to be flashing red and asking you to confirm that you violated a stop depth which is annoying.
The caveat here is that if you don't plan on going above 20ft for your final stop, then your TTS number will be a few minutes off if you are decompressing on something other than 100% O2.
Note that this setting does not change the "safety stop" parameters and I think this is where the confusion has come up.

The "safety stop" is a target window for you to hang out after your deco has cleared, or if you are NDL diving, just an added safety buffer to minimize your risk of DCS. The "last stop" setting doesn't actually change the window of the "safety stop" which is why the safety stop countdown doesn't display a target depth. Once you are above 20ft and you have cleared all deco stops, the timer starts, and as long as you stay between 7ft and 23ft, the timer keeps on ticking. This is a nice wide buffer to give you flexibility to move around because all you are doing is helping those tissues to offgas a bit more before you come down. You may choose to do a minute at 20, a minute at 15, a minute at 10 and go up, may choose to do it all at one depth, may bounce around looking at pretty fish or playing pranks on your buddy, but because it isn't a "Deco stop" and your "ceiling" is the surface, you can go around wherever you want and be OK.

Does that make sense or help at all?

@tcoen may be able to validate, but I think they probably left the "safety stop" window relatively wide from 7ft down to 23ft partly because it removes screen clutter, but also to remove the "pressure" put on a diver from feeling like they have to abide by the stop depth and if they go shallower that they may get bent. Which would probably keep their customer service lines open 24/7. Having participated in both of these threads this week though, I think on the "support" page it may be worth changing the normal manual to "OC Tec and CCR" manual, and then having a standalone manual for the Rec Nitrox mode since that appears to be what caused the confusion in both of these threads

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom