Next Cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RicanDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Ok so I have my Naui OW, my AOW and Nitrox certs. What should I go for next? I was thinking that a good way to continue would be rescue diver then master diver.

What do you think? I am not into this for the sake of becoming an instructor, just your typical go getter type. Thoughts?=-)

How long have you been diving? You might be better of spending your money on dive trips instead of classes.

cornfed once bubbled...
How long have you been diving? You might be better of spending your money on dive trips instead of classes.

Good question, been diving since OCT 2002 ( was first certified in 1982, but stopped diving for 20 yrs) since Oct 2002 I have 65 dives logged, been to The Keys, Caymans, Cozumel and I just got back from Roatan. The Exhumas are next (this friday!) and then Bonaire in Dec.

I am just trying to make up for all the time I lost as a young adult, now that I am reaching my fortieth BD, I want to get the most out of diving and develop my skills.

I figure I got a good 20 years of diving left in me =-)

Thanks for your replies!

If you did NAUI then you already know a lil bit about rescue, now go learn more! Rescue class is great, And I think every oneshould go thru it. If thats not available, DIR-F (sorry had to bring it up).

I commend you on your diving, go get em!

Then I'd take the advice of others in this thread and look at rescue.

Every now and then someone pops up with the same question you asked and it seems like they have more certs then non-training dives!

Bwah....non-training dives...what's the fun in that :wink:

Seriouly though, if interested in continuing your education, the two classes mentioned (Rescue and Fundy's) are both very good courses. Search out a good shop to take rescue with though....don't just go to a one day deal thing....make sure you will be getting some dives in, and make sore you will be doing mock-rescues. We did ours as a team and made 4 "rescues" from 30 ffw in full wetsuit cold water gear. Getting the victim out of the water was certainly a chore that you don't want to be "trying" the first time for real

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
Bwah....non-training dives...what's the fun in that :wink:

Dives outside of class... is that better? :wink:

I'll concur with those who say take a Rescue course.

I will also agree with Big-T that you should do your homework and find a course that is comprehensive. I personally like the YMCA SLAM (scuba lifesaving and accident management) course, because it combines rescue, DAN O2, and medic first-aid. It also provides both pool and open-water practice. It's a very demanding course ... but you'll come out of it a much better, more confident diver.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Here is my own list of suggested training progression (cert's):

OW1
AOW
Nitrox

[Congrats! You made it that far.]

Rescue

NAUI Master Diver (Note, other agencies have master diver courses as well. But they are not as technically oriented as NAUI's. With NAUI's you get an excellent academic program that explains all of diving science, and introduces the technical diving topics as well.)

Advanced Nitrox (Technical for all EANx mixes from EAN25 to 100% O2). This class allows you to customize your nitrox mix, and prepares you for technical applications. You will also need a nitrox dive computer at this point, like one of the Suunto's.

What you do after that depends on the diving facilities available locally to you. It might be ice diving, it might be shipwreck diving, it might be cave diving, it might be high altitude diving, it might be teaching at the local dive store if they need more diving instructors.

I know nothing about ice diving and little about altitude diving.

For shipwrecks or caves (which are similar), here is a good progression from there:

Staged decompression

Basic Trimix

Advanced Trimix

Basic Shipwreck or Cavern

Advanced Shipwreck or Cave

For teaching or resort employment, here is the progression after Rescue Diver. You may or may not want to take the Master Diver program first, its not required, but the Master Diver book is the text for the others that follow, if you are training with NAUI.

A/I

D/M

ITC

To get back to your original question, a Rescue Certification makes you a more reliable buddy, and it teaches you how to self-rescue, by 1) recognizing stress in yourself and in others; 2) by avoiding dangerous/stressful situations in diving; 3) by rescuing yourself through self-rescue techniques without panic; 4) by assisting others; 5) by executing a full fledged rescue of a submerged unconscious diver; and 6) by directing a rescue operation and involving other divers in assisting during a rescue.

Rescue training helps you as a diver and helps your buddies whom you are diving with. It is definitely a worthwhile class.

NAUI teaches an excellent rescue class, as does PADI, as does SSI, all of which I know of, and I am sure all other agencies like YMCA etc put a lot into their rescue training as well.

In case you are wondering where the list ends, somewhere up in the diving stratosphere, Advanced Cave Diving Instructor with an Advanced Trimix Instructor certification is about as highly trained as you can get, other than to work at a physics research diving facility. And then along another tangent is the closed circuit rebreather training line as well.

What you do and where you find your niche in scuba all depends on your local diving opportunities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom