Newly certified, thanks Scubaboard too!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With regards to your ears, it is possible that you might need to equalise a bit more if your ears are more fragile. Equalise before you notice them and it should keep them a bit healthier (most people equalise too late - once they feel the ache which signifies the start of barotrauma).

Excellent advice there. You may need to descend slower. Some people find that moving their jaw side to side a bit can also help.

Great advice right there and I believe you both nailed it. I know I need to get better at a lot of things scuba... and that is one on the top of my list. I fall under that category of clearing a hair too late. I guess not being use to having to do that, you get abruptly reminded when you don't... and as you have said, it's on the late side by then. I will be working on all of that and plenty more for sure!! And it always seems to be my right ear that causes more of the fuss.

Congrats on getting certified, and its awesome your daughter is going to be diving with you. My wife cannot stomach the idea of being underwater so I hope my kids are interested when they get a little older.
My wife got certified before I met her (MANY years ago). Hasn't dived since. Always felt claustrophobic and trouble equalizing. So she has no interest to get into it at this point. I've got two other girls too; neither of them are interested, one has Down's so she might be challenged in general, the other believes there are too big of things underwater to go down there with them.

Thank you. Nice ride right there! I had one of the first ones off the boat back in early 2010. I no longer have it but it was an awesome bike! I quit riding street when I took to racing on the track. Did a little AMA Pro racing a handful of years back. Still have a race bike, race trailer, and all my race gear... but probably going to begin off loading it this Winter. With scuba now in the picture I don't think I'll be back to the track for a while. I do still have a Supermoto, street legal and set up to race... may keep that one, not sure. Safe riding out there, and diving too!

On the plus side, that should pay for some of the new hobby!

Wife's ride, after she rode mine.
Wl76OPB.jpg

Thank you, and you as well. Be safe.

Welcome to the addiction! It's a money pit, or as I call it, my drug of choice. :)
I keep a bottle of DIY swimmers ear with me in my dive kit. (I) Use it after every dive.
As far as cold.. I get cold easily, so I may be of the opinion that more is better. :)
There is a big group of us that camp, dive Ginnie Springs twice a year. Our next event is Oct 20-22. Please join us. Family friendly, and divers of all certs (and non divers) welcome. There is a thread about it in the Florida Conch section.
What is your concoction for this DIY swimmers ear?

Funny you mentioned Ginnie Springs. Just yesterday I was looking into various Springs that might be good for us as beginners and that one caught my eye. I sent them an e-mail about pricing for camping with a motorhome and diving, etc. I checked my calendar for that October weekend and the daughter that got certified with me also plays Fastpitch Travelball and we have a Tournament that weekend unfortunately. It definitely looks like a cool place though! And thank you for the invite - I would have loved to have made that one!!

On the plus side, that should pay for some of the new hobby!

Wife's ride, after she rode mine.

Thank you, and you as well. Be safe.
Yowzer, VERY nice! I have a thing for Ducati's! That's a beauty right there! Never owned one, never rode one... something about the V-twin and a dry clutch making all kinds of ruckus that is always cool!

What is your concoction for this DIY swimmers ear?
Google "Ear Beer".

There are many "recipes". Most consist of a combination of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, Glycerine and/or Hydrogen Peroxide.

Yowzer, VERY nice! I have a thing for Ducati's! That's a beauty right there! Never owned one, never rode one... something about the V-twin and a dry clutch making all kinds of ruckus that is always cool!

Yep. My favorite sound (other than bubbles) in the world. She picked it out after wanting a red one for 25 years... Go figure!

Google "Ear Beer".

There are many "recipes". Most consist of a combination of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, Glycerine and/or Hydrogen Peroxide.
I will do that, thank you!

I had a feeling Peroxide was certainly in the mix.

Congrats!

I almost always wear a hood. I find that if I pull my hood away from my face on BOTH sides as I'm descending, that it really helps with equalization.

Congrats!

I almost always wear a hood. I find that if I pull my hood away from my face on BOTH sides as I'm descending, that it really helps with equalization.
I will have to try that if I go the hood route. I'm up for anything to make this as easy as possible and so far the ears haven't been terrible but they have gotten in the way a little. Definitely have to equalize sooner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom