Newly certified, thanks Scubaboard too!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1000RR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My daughter (13) and I just finished our certification over the weekend. We're definitely in love with the new adventure!! Along the way, I picked up our equipment (everything but tanks) thanks to the vast information on this Board - so thank you guys for your infinite wisdom, opinions, and knowledge! I believe we made very good choices for the equipment (mostly used) such that it won't be an expensive "oops" as we continue to progress with our new adventure.

All our dives were down here in Florida. Dived springs (~72) up to salt (84-86) and really enjoyed it all. About the only negative thing I'd say is my right ear is slightly unhappy. Started to clog slightly (a day after the dive) and then a little irritated inside (like swimmer's ear). I use to get swimmer's ear as a kid and I also tend to get wax build up quite significantly. After our last dive, I went to the doc and had em take a look and flush the wax out. Quite a bit came out and he also gave me some drops for such...

Next, we'll be working on trying to figure out what kind of environmental protection as well as thermal protection we need. I hope to dive year around down here, more in the Summer, but hopefully some in the Winter too. The warm dives we did, we just had rash guards and board shorts and that was fine from the thermal side. I've been reading quite a bit about various wetsuits, what to look for, thicknesses, etc. so we'll be taking that part slower (the purchase of) as I want to try and make sure we know what we really need and get something that works well for us and how we approach diving (repetitive dives, year around dives, etc.). Plenty to learn, but we have the basic gear and a card - so we're about to embark on plenty of fun!

My daughter is already on me to schedule something over on the Gulf side (Venice Beach area) for some Megaladon Shark Tooth hunting. She wants to go back down to Blue Heron Bridge as well. Once we get a few more dives, we'll probably take a boat out from Palm Beach and do some drift dives. And of course we will be finding our way down to the Keys for sure. May have to check out some Springs up North too, just have to figure out where etc. We have a trip planned next summer (2018) for Grand Cayman, so me and her will do some diving, the rest of the family will do some snorkeling and beach stuff... as will we when not diving.

Thanks again Board - a tremendous amount of information here. I'll be around for quite a while I'm sure!

Safe diving!

Last edited:
What a wonderful post. Delighted that you have found something to share with your daughter. Lovely diving in your area. BHB is an awesome dive. If you want a great guide for BHB and area check in with @Scuba_Jenny. She knows where the critters live and their names too:)

Welcome to the hobby (addiction is probably more like it).

Can think of nothing better than doing what you both love with people you love.

With regards to your ears, it is possible that you might need to equalise a bit more if your ears are more fragile. Equalise before you notice them and it should keep them a bit healthier (most people equalise too late - once they feel the ache which signifies the start of barotrauma).

Can't help with choice of wetsuit/drysuit - cold endurance is a very personal thing and fit/manufacture has a lot to do with it. One companies 5mm could be as warm as another's 7mm. I dived in 3mm in the Red Sea while another diver was in 7mm.

Congrats. I hope to have a similar story in 3 or 4 years when my daughter gets old enough.

Welcome to the hobby (addiction is probably more like it).

Can think of nothing better than doing what you both love with people you love.

With regards to your ears, it is possible that you might need to equalise a bit more if your ears are more fragile. Equalise before you notice them and it should keep them a bit healthier (most people equalise too late - once they feel the ache which signifies the start of barotrauma).

Can't help with choice of wetsuit/drysuit - cold endurance is a very personal thing and fit/manufacture has a lot to do with it. One companies 5mm could be as warm as another's 7mm. I dived in 3mm in the Red Sea while another diver was in 7mm.

Excellent advice there. You may need to descend slower. Some people find that moving their jaw side to side a bit can also help.

I have a problem with one ear and I have found that colder water and current make it worse. I started diving with a hood and that eased the problem a lot. In warm temps like Florida I just wear a cheap lycra hood. In temperate water I use a polar fleecy (sharkskin hood). If I use a neoprene hood (seldom) I have punched a hole near each ear so the water can enter and it doesn't compress over my ear and block it.

Welcome to the addiction! It's a money pit, or as I call it, my drug of choice. :)
I keep a bottle of DIY swimmers ear with me in my dive kit. (I) Use it after every dive.
As far as cold.. I get cold easily, so I may be of the opinion that more is better. :)
There is a big group of us that camp, dive Ginnie Springs twice a year. Our next event is Oct 20-22. Please join us. Family friendly, and divers of all certs (and non divers) welcome. There is a thread about it in the Florida Conch section.

Congrats on getting certified, and its awesome your daughter is going to be diving with you. My wife cannot stomach the idea of being underwater so I hope my kids are interested when they get a little older.

Welcome to the sport @1000RR. Safe diving and riding!

2GOXRGl.jpg

Congratulations, and welcome to scuba!!!! Sounds like you both took to it about the same way I did!

Adam

Welcome to the sport @1000RR. Safe diving and riding!

Thank you. Nice ride right there! I had one of the first ones off the boat back in early 2010. I no longer have it but it was an awesome bike! I quit riding street when I took to racing on the track. Did a little AMA Pro racing a handful of years back. Still have a race bike, race trailer, and all my race gear... but probably going to begin off loading it this Winter. With scuba now in the picture I don't think I'll be back to the track for a while. I do still have a Supermoto, street legal and set up to race... may keep that one, not sure. Safe riding out there, and diving too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom