Question Pemuteran Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leeaf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi

My family and I are intending to spend 6 nts in Pemuteran in July. It's our first time to this area and just wondering if there is any up to date advice on the diving and the dive shops etc. At this stage we are staying at Van Karning Bungalows (most places are booked out) and likely diving with Dive Concepts (they seem to be easily the best priced and we have used them in Tulumben previously) but would appreciate any advice. Will likely split the diving between Menjangan and Pemuteran Bay. We are not that into muck diving.

Thanks in advance.

I like to support locally owned dive shops, not foreign owned chains, but that's just a personal preference. Dive Concepts, being a cheaper volume operator tends to have large group of youngish entry level divers, which is definitely not my bag.

We dove with Abyss Ocean World and were pleased with the diving. Nice, fast boat and excellent guide. We only did Menjangan, having heard, including from the guides, that Pemuteran was not great. My .02, six days is a long time up there. There are good reefs around Tulamben—not just muck.

six days is a long time up there.
...+1...
Unless you are stopping off on you way to somewhere else.

I like to support locally owned dive shops, not foreign owned chains, but that's just a personal preference. Dive Concepts, being a cheaper volume operator tends to have large group of youngish entry level divers, which is definitely not my bag.
I know what you mean and I agree but not at 50-100% more. They employ all local guides from what I can tell.

We dove with Abyss Ocean World and were pleased with the diving. Nice, fast boat and excellent guide. We only did Menjangan, having heard, including from the guides, that Pemuteran was not great. My .02, six days is a long time up there. There are good reefs around Tulamben—not just muck.
OK thanks for the input

I know what you mean and I agree but not at 50-100% more. They employ all local guides from what I can tell.
Dive Concepts is about IDR 325k per dive (5 & 10 dive packages are less); most other shops, local and foreign, are IDR 400k-450k or around US$ 8 more per tank.

For the last 5 trips I have always booked with Karin at Bali Diving Academy (they are on the main road now), they have been in Pemuteran from the the start when there were only a couple of shops here and all the guides are locals. Pemuteran is my go to family holiday to get away from it all and chill, lots of nice diving up at Menjangen but there is lots of interesting Macro in Pemuteran bay - well I like it anyway 😃

By Indonesian Law, a dive guide is always an Indonesian citizen.

By Indonesian Law, a dive guide is always an Indonesian citizen.
So who are all the foreigners in the shops and at the sites..."instructors," "assistant dive guides," "dive supervisors"?

Back
Top Bottom