Question Newly certified OWD - Looking to buy fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The big issues with fin selection FOR ME are:
  1. foot pocket shape
  2. stiffness
  3. weight in air and length (for travel)
  4. weight in water (for my trim, often diving wet)
  5. frog kick primarily, but occasional big flutter for currents
If 1-5 are satisfied, then price and color are nice criteria. Brand is irrelevant, whether anybody uses them or likes/hates them is irrelevant.

I've settled on Deep6 Eddy and Dive Rite XT. I've got a pair of Hollis F2s as a backup, but don't much like the way they fit my foot. Absolute NO are Jetfins (they violate -- for me -- criteria 1, 3, 4). I've probably tried 10 other brands and models...Dacor, Tusa, Oceanic, Aqua-Lung, splits of several models, etc. No joy.

Others will have other criteria in a different sequence, and different foot shapes, and different kick requirements, and different trim requirements, so what works FOR ME is basically irrelevant to what YOU might want.

Quattros are great for open water. The only downsides is they are on the long and heavy side so not so much fun to pack and you'll need to be a little bit more aware when you are in close proximity to the bottom, other divers, etc. If you get seriously into wreck diving, you'll probably want something else, but who owns just one pair of fins? :)

Update : Went to buy them and try in person, they didn't have Quattro's available :( so i just picked Avantti Superchannel instead, will try them Thursday and update !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom