newby question about a boat dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been on a couple of Liveaboards and there is almost always someone there going solo. They either buddy with a couple or someone who work on the boat goes with them. It has never been a problem. Go for it!

Somehow I'm not surprised. Where are you from, lottinala? Are you certified to dive?
yes i am cert as a matter of fact ive got a advance cert through NAUI. the main reason i never got to go diving was a divorse. im from north alabama and when i say north i mean i live a mile from the tennessee line. sorry ive not to be so fortunate to get to dive from a boat but now im doing well enought to get to do things in life and im going to do it all the way.

Don't worry too much about diving from a boat, a good operation will ensure nobody is diving solo, if that means a pair becomes a threesome then that's what will happen.

But do remember, just because you may be diving with a buddy; your buddy may not be diving with you. Especially if you got stuck with the honeymooning couple...

Peace,
Greg

But do remember, just because you may be diving with a buddy; your buddy may not be diving with you. Especially if you got stuck with the honeymooning couple...

Peace,
Greg

Boy is that the truth. I had a newbie buddy mindlessly roam off throughout the entire dive.

Boy is that the truth. I had a newbie buddy mindlessly roam off throughout the entire dive.
i understand what you two are saying 100%, and that is one thing i try to drill in my sons head that a buddy is just that and needs to be there in case of emerencies cause there arent many second chances down there.

I just did some boat diving in Kona, HI. The two operations I've had dives with there take small groups (most was 5) with a DM guide. I brought my own buddy, but the people who came solo dove with the group rather than being paired up with anyone in particular.

Based on what I've seen of divers on these boats (admittedly a limited sample), I would not put full confidence in whatever random person they might choose to pair me up with anyway. Whenever my own buddy was not there for whatever reason, I went under the assumption that I might not have any help and proceeded very conservatively.

This is why I want to take solo diver training. I don't particularly want or intend to solo dive, but I'd like to be self-sufficient anyway. My buddy I trust implicitly; the rest of you guys I'm not sure about yet. :)

dived on a charter out of new symrna in july to do some wrecks
six pack outfit and had the oppertunity to dive with some superb people!
paired up with a guy who assured me he was not an air pig,and just had a ball!!!!
divemaster was in the water,and enjoying spearfishing...and observing like a good divemaster
sometimes it's part of the experience to take the luck of the draw
go places,meet people,do things!!!!!
enjoy it-good divers help each other!!!i love a sport where the slower you go...the better you are!!!!!

dived on a charter out of new symrna in july to do some wrecks
six pack outfit and had the oppertunity to dive with some superb people!
paired up with a guy who assured me he was not an air pig,and just had a ball!!!!
divemaster was in the water,and enjoying spearfishing...and observing like a good divemaster
sometimes it's part of the experience to take the luck of the draw
go places,meet people,do things!!!!!
enjoy it-good divers help each other!!!i love a sport where the slower you go...the better you are!!!!!
you know i never thought of it that way but you hit it right on the head.

I've dived with "insta-buddies" a lot on vacations, and it's definitely hit or miss. The best thing I've found is to chat up divers while getting signed up and stowing gear, etc. and find someone that at least seems like a good candidate to hang out with. Most dive boats/resorts I've been to will simply pair you up with the nearest single. But no matter who you buddy with, don't be shy about going through the basics (signals, gear configuration/octo location, what to do if separated, etc.) - it's almost always appreciated since if you paired with a fellow single diver, they've likely had their own share of insta-buddy experiences!

i was wondering how it worked if you wanted to go diving and you were alone with no dive buddy. would they try to pair you up with someone or would you dive with a DM. ive never dove from a boat just done quarry dives and have always had a buddy. please fill me in and let me know cause im going to cocoa beach and want to dive but no one to go with me. thanks for all the replies.

They will buddy you up, sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. There are usually other people without a specific buddy. I kid you not but in Key West on the Vandenburg my buddy, there were two, a cowboy from Nevada and a transvestite. Only in Key West. Oh, both were excellent divers and we had a great dive and they were both nice people.

We had agreed before the first dive the, well, the guy who was not the cowboy, would be the dive leader since he was a local or sorta. I had my camera and that usually takes to much attention. But once in the water it became apparent that I needed to be the lead so I took over, my camera and photography taking second fiddle to providing a good dive for the "team," navigational reasons shall I say, it all worked out.

N

Back
Top Bottom