newby question about a boat dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lottinala

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i was wondering how it worked if you wanted to go diving and you were alone with no dive buddy. would they try to pair you up with someone or would you dive with a DM. ive never dove from a boat just done quarry dives and have always had a buddy. please fill me in and let me know cause im going to cocoa beach and want to dive but no one to go with me. thanks for all the replies.

it would depend on the boat

i think rarely they will pair you up with a DM, and if they do, it's probably going to cost extra

most often they just pair you off with another diver

it really depends on the boat. you should call and ask before going diving.

I'm an instructor in Cocoa Beach. For Newbies we do not have dives in the immediate area...reefs are just too far away, however with my classes, I do the reefs off West Palm to the Keys...some just a day trip others an overnight or two stay. I welcome people in your "predicament" to come along....always someone you can dive with!

PM me when you will be in town and we can work something out to get you wet!

I am in the same boat as you ( no pun intended). But each time I go solo on a boat, the DM or captain will pair you up with someone. Has not been a problem. I think you will enjoy diving from a boat.

I've only been on boats in the Keys, but they always make sure everyone has a buddy. If necessary, they'll make a threesome.

I don't mind diving with newbies, but I don't want to be a babysitter. Being confident in your skills and honest about your experience and air consumption helps me decide if I want to be your buddy. I agree with blue steel, I think you will really enjoy boat diving. There are boat diving courses which are helpful in learning about being a courteous diver aboard a boat.

I'm an instructor in Cocoa Beach. For Newbies we do not have dives in the immediate area...reefs are just too far away, however with my classes, I do the reefs off West Palm to the Keys...some just a day trip others an overnight or two stay. I welcome people in your "predicament" to come along....always someone you can dive with!

PM me when you will be in town and we can work something out to get you wet!
thanks ill let you know when we are going to be that way and maybe i can hook up with you, i know someday im going be down that way with you cause me and the wife are working on moving that way. but thanks for the invit and maybe i can hook up with you during our trip, it looks like we will be there oct 3rd till the 10th. thanks again that is one of the reason we like it there the people are great there.

lottinala, if you ever come around to NE Florida, we can do some spring diving, maybe some boat diving too

I don't mind diving with newbies, but I don't want to be a babysitter. Being confident in your skills and honest about your experience and air consumption helps me decide if I want to be your buddy. I agree with blue steel, I think you will really enjoy boat diving. There are boat diving courses which are helpful in learning about being a courteous diver aboard a boat.
i understand what you are saying and understand completly. im not new to diving i dove for years (got cert about 12 years ago) and didnt dive for around 4 years and started back about 6 months ago. im pretty good with my air just never been on a boat dive and as for classes we dont have classes were im from. the only thing we do up here is learn how to step off a boat. the one way i look at thing like this is everyone had to learn from somewhere and no matter how good you are you was a rookie at one time. i learn that when i teach people how to do jewelry work i try to have pations with them.:D

p.s. maybe i could have put my heading different it does sound like im new to diving but im not just new to boat diving sorry for not making that more clear.

as for classes we dont have classes were im from
Somehow I'm not surprised. Where are you from, lottinala? Are you certified to dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom