Newbie =}!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kellykins

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I'm wanting to get a camera sometime soon, so I can take photos of when I'm diving!
What camera do you recommend Don't want anythign high tech etc. Just somethign to take snaps with...

Cheers

Canon G10 or G11 when it comes, but I suspect getting housings for the G11 can be tricky for the first while its in stores. Think release of the G11 was scheduled for september?

The canon G-series is a pretty decent place to start as it can be used merely as a point-and-shoot or you can make use of more advanced functions and RAW format if you wish to do so. The RAW format is particularly nice to get as much as possible out of your photos wether you use it merely as a point-and-shoot or use more advanced functions.
Its also not horribly expensive if you should realize that UW photography wherent really for you afterall.

Do you have a link :)
thanks for the quick reply!

Sure I do.

PowerShot G11 Digital Camera

PowerShot G10 IS Digital Camera

As far as housings goes, you have the canon OEM housings as well as the Ikelite and other third-party manufacurer options. The Canon ones tends to be smaller but missing the hot-shoe connection, while the third-party ones tend to be larger, more expensive and available with the hot-shoe connection.

If you are going to shoot in clear water, bright sun.. then you might want to wait for the G11.. if you are using strobes in dark or deep water... the G10 is wonderful...

If you are going to shoot in clear water, bright sun.. then you might want to wait for the G11.. if you are using strobes in dark or deep water... the G10 is wonderful...
Any particular reason not to use the G11 with strobes that I have missed? It does have the hot-shoe and you still have the choice of optically fired strobes as well?

I guess this is a Canon thread.........

Why not recommend something a little easier out of the box....something that doesn't require buying a housing sepeartely.

Check out SeaLife Reefmaster Eco or something similar.

I guess this is a Canon thread.........

Why not recommend something a little easier out of the box....something that doesn't require buying a housing sepeartely.

Check out SeaLife Reefmaster Eco or something similar.
Yes, you need to buy a housing if you go for the Canon G-series (or most other cameras for that matter), but "a bit easier" is hard to find to be honest. You can use it in total n00b mode or you can use it in "almost SLR" mode depending on what you want. Which is also why its a great camera to start with - you can grow from total newbie to "ready for the big bang setup" with the same camera and housing..

yeah I'm just trying to get a camera which snaps...nothing fancy....!
For recreational diving..
xx

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom