Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jscubadive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, I recently saw what seems like a very good deal on a used air compressor. I was wanting to get this but this particular ad also said would fill a scuba tank in 1 3/4 hours to 2500 psi but is not grade E air. Is Grade E air the only grade usable in scuba or a minimum requirement? I am assuming that is why the price was so low on this. Can added filtration be added to bring this up to E levels? Also is a Grade D higher or lower then E?

D is lower, basically OK for fire depts, etc although their association did lead the way to higher grades in their SOP. Grade E is a minimum standard for Scuba. Due to the multiplying effect of certain gases when used under pressure there has been some talk that, at least, the CO margin should be improved. I don't pay much attention to that stuff. For years, I used air from an old compressor which had a small charcoal cartridge as a final filter and the air was fine for me but not my steel tanks. I've lived a long time and breathed a lot of air from that machine. Heck, one of my cigars has more pollution than a 1000 tanks filled from the old Bauer. Today, my equipment includes a "triplex" type final filter with Vaporshell 13X, hopcalite and charcoal. My tanks look ever so much better. I haven't noticed any difference as a result, in my breathing or my cigars.

Back
Top Bottom